Work in Washington Veterans Jobs

Job Information

Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service Fish Biologist in Yakima, Washington

Summary This position is a Fish Biologist, GS- 0482-11 working in Yakima, Washington for the R1-Mid-Columbia River FWCO. Responsibilities This Fish Biologist position is located at the Yakima sub-office of the Mid-Columbia Fish and Wildlife Conservation Office. It has a strong field component that requires work in all types of weather throughout much of the year. Safely and cooperatively accomplishing field duties is a priority. As a liaison to the Bureau of Reclamation's Yakima River Basin Water Enhancement Project, the incumbent is expected to advise partners and help direct the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan, a multiagency approach to collaboratively managing water in the Yakima Basin. This position requires maintaining strong relationships with cooperators and disseminating fish and aquatic resource data in the form of oral presentations, technical reports, and management plans. The incumbent will also be expected to lead data collection and analysis that will guide these recommendations. Requirements Conditions of Employment Qualifications Only experience and education obtained by 03/31/2023 will be considered. In order to qualify for this position you must possess both the Basic Requirement and Minimum Qualification. Basic Requirement: Degree: major in biological science that included: At least 6 semester hours in aquatic subjects such as limnology, ichthyology, fishery biology, aquatic botany, aquatic fauna, oceanography, fish culture, or related courses in the field of fishery biology; and At least 12 semester hours in the animal sciences in such subjects as general zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy, physiology, entomology, parasitology, ecology, cellular biology, genetics, or research in these fields. (Excess course work in aquatic subjects may be used to meet this requirement when appropriate.)OR Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in biological science (i.e., at least 30 semester hours), of which a minimum of 6 semester hours were in aquatic subjects and 12 semester hours were in the animal sciences, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. Minimum Qualification [GS-11]: One year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility equivalent to grade GS-9 in the Federal service. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include: providing planning support for biological initiatives related to the management of fish and aquatic resources; conducting studies affecting fish populations or hatchery practices/operations and performing data and statistical analysis; assisting in fisheries management planning; and preparing and presenting scientific data relative to fishery resources. OR Completed three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or equivalent doctoral degree in a field directly related to fishery biology such as limnology, ichthyology, fishery biology, aquatic botany, aquatic fauna, oceanography, fish culture, fish and wildlife management, marine science, or other fields directly related to fishery biology. OR Possess an equivalent combination of professional experience and graduate level education beyond the second year which together equals 100% of the requirements. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Education PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts. PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society. GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study. FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: Additional Information PCS INFORMATION: -No PCS entitlements authorized Telework: This position is suitable for telework and may be allowed to telework with supervisory approval. Additional Vacancies: One or more positions may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area. Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP):Department of Interior (DOI) Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) procedures apply in filling this vacancy. CTAP or ICTAP applicants must be determined to be well-qualified for this position in order to receive special selection priority. To be well-qualified, a CTAP or ICTAP applicant must meet the following: OPM qualification requirements for the position, all selective factors, where applicable; special OPM approved qualifying conditions for the position; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate, to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and receives a rating of at least 85 on the questionnaire. For more information visit: OPM's Employee Guide to Career Transition