Work in Washington Veterans Jobs

Job Information

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST in Walla Walla, Washington

Summary WALLA WALLA DISTRICT CORPS OF ENGINEERS WAS VOTED 2022 BEST PLACE FOR WORKING PARENTS About the Position: The Walla Walla District US Army Corps of Engineers is comprised of motivated and talented employees providing the very best engineering services for communities in the Pacific Northwest. The District helps manage local water resources for navigation, flood damage reduction, disaster assistance, hydroelectric power generation, and other natural and heritage areas. Responsibilities Serve as a Public Affairs Specialist for the Walla Walla District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and acting chief in the absence of the Public Affairs (PA) chief. Communicate using a variety of channels, methods, and techniques including print/broadcast media, social media, and presentations. Prepares public affairs products to promote understanding of District programs, projects, goals, objectives, and policies that involve complex issues and messages. Coordinate distribution of public affairs products through communications channels to include digital platforms and social media. Facilitate engagements with media outlets, elected officials, stakeholder groups, and other audiences. Conduct public affairs planning on basic and complex topics. Provide advice and counsel on strategic communication matters to leaders and other District staff. Train District staff in advance of media and public engagements. Respond to queries from reporters, customers, and the public. Maintain office task/workload management for PA activities and operations. Review assessments and media environment analysis; provide insight and guidance as needed. Requirements Conditions of Employment Qualifications Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities. Current Department of Army Civilian Employees Domestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel Workforce Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473 Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998 In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document. GS-12 Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes experience (1) planning public affairs events and operations; (2) developing strategic communication plans; (3) preparing news releases, professional photography, videos, web products, talking points, and/or other materials for public audience; AND (4) professional office management and administration. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11). Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted. You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas: Communications and Media Message Development Oral Communication Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-?11). Education Additional Information Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration. You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. One year trial/probationary period may be required. Direct deposit of pay is required. Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees. If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet. This is a(n) Professional Services Career Field (CF) position. You may claim military spouse preference (MSP). Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement. Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest. This position is covered under the National Federation of Federal Employees (NFFE) Bargaining Unit.