King County Washington Heavy Duty Mechanic Apprentice in WA, Washington
Come join our team!! King County Fleet Services is looking for an eager and enthusiastic Apprentice Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic. This apprenticeship will be highly individualized to provide knowledge, skills and ability necessary to achieve journey-level status. You will have access to mentorship and development from a team of strong technicians. In addition, we will provide support to continue your training and growth towards a journey-level position, with great benefits and a competitive salary. This is an excellent opportunity for a capable and reliable apprentice to begin a rewarding career with King County! Heavy Duty Mechanics perform work on a variety of mechanical, electrical, electronic, powertrain, and hydraulic systems for vehicles, on and off road construction equipment, and portable and stationary equipment that supports getting work done throughout King County.
Why work at King County is a great place to work?
This is a fantastic opportunity to have a lasting and rewarding career in County government. You will have the opportunity to work in an organization that embraces diversity, institutes best management practices, values hard work, and empowers employees to innovate and strives for second-to-none customer service.
Our focus is to provide our employees a work life balance with:
- Competitive – healthcare plans
- Flexible – work environment
- Free – transportation options
- Manager Support – structured employee assistance program
- Paid– twelve days of vacation per year (in addition to paid holidays)
- Paid– twelve days of sick leave per year
- Paid – twelve week parental leave
- *Deferred *– compensation plan
- Employer contributions – to state pension plan
Ten – paid holidays and Two Additional personal holidays! SCOPE OF JOB DUTIES: The successful candidate at a minimum, must demonstrate skill and ability to:
Perform preventative maintenance, diagnose and repair all types of gas and diesel engines;
- Perform gas and electric welding and fabrication on mobile and stationary equipment;
- Operate mechanical and electronic testing equipment to troubleshoot and repair systems;
- Repair and maintain shop tools and machinery;
- Read and Interpret vehicle repair manuals, electric and hydraulic schematics and illustrated parts diagrams;
- Modify and fabricate stock equipment to meet County needs;
Up-fit and prepare new vehicles for service. Maintain service, maintenance and repair records. WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO:
Have knowledge and training to work with industrial and heavy-duty equipment, hydraulic, powertrain, diesel and gasoline fuel, hybrids, accessories and cooling systems;
- Cantroubleshoot and repair hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, electrical systems, chassis and power-train system;
- Are able to use electrical, electronic, hydraulic and mechanical test equipment and devices;
- Are familiar with all aspects of vehicle operation and must understand the functions of the major components and systems;
- Are good problem solvers who can diagnose problems and make decisions about the most suitable repairs;
- Are customer focused and able to communicate with customers, peers, managers and supervisors;
- Are team players and understand the value of working well as a team;
- Are comfortable using automated computer systems to document maintenance, repairs, problems on work orders;
- Are knowledgeable of automotive shop safety rules, procedures, and equipment use. ARE YOU READY TO APPLY?
Must have completed a two year vocational program related to heavy equipment repair. This exciting opportunity to join County government is open to all applicants. A King County application is required.
If you have any questions or concerns while applying, please contact Andres Boyer at 206-263-8388 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION - The successful candidate must have a valid Washington State Driver License and: PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL EXAM: An offer of employment will be contingent on the success of a pre-employment physical examination and reference check process. Typically, is completed within 3 weeks of offer. PASS A PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREEN: If you are a Current CDL holder, as required by federal regulations, you must submit to drug testing and test negative for presence of controlled substances; sign a Consent Form for release of Information for each employer for the past three (3) years; and successfully pass a background check for Alcohol and Controlled Substances testing, and a CDL background information. POSSESS TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT: The County provides employees with a $500 per year tool allowance. The successful candidate must submit a complete tool inventory prior to start date. Candidate who do not have a complete tool inventory will be provided a temporary tool inventory that remain County property and must be returned to the County at the commencement of the apprentice assignment.
Heavy Duty Mechanic tool kit's consisting of standard and metric, open end and socket wrenches including:
- Open end wrenches: Standard size 1/4" through 1-1/4", Metric Size: 6mm through 20mm
- Socket sets: 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" drive, standard size: 1/4" through 1-1/4", Metric Size: 6mm through 20mm.
- Various pliers, screwdrivers and other hand tools required to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Air operated power tools to 1/2" impact gun. CDL REQUIRMENTS*:* CDL is not required for this apprenticeship, however by the completion of the apprenticeship, you must be able to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Class N and Air Brake Endorsement and current Medical Card as a condition of continued employment. FIRST AID/CPR CERTIFICATION: The selected candidate must obtain First Aid and CPR certifications within 6 months after start of employment. This training is available from King County and may be completed during hours of employment. TYPICAL WORK SCHEDULE: The typical work schedule for these positions is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Our shop operates from 6 am to 6 pm to best serve our customers. Alternative schedules may be required to meet business needs. Additionally, mandatory overtime and weekend work during emergencies may be required. UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position will be represented by Local 289 of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
Salary: $25.83 - $30.50 Hourly
Location: WA, WA
Job Type: Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/week
Department: DES - Executive Services
Job Number: 2019JI10443
Agency: King County
Address: King County Administration Bldg. 500 4th Ave. Rm. 553 Seattle, Washington, 98104