King County Washington Administrative Specialist III - Medical Records in WA, Washington
We are looking for a Part-Time Administrative Specialist III to assist with medical record work in the STD Clinic. This Administrative Specialist III will report to the Health Services Administrator. This position collaborates with clinic management, privacy/compliance staff and other clinics to ensure safe and efficient service delivery. This position has primary responsibility for ensuring that the maintenance of health records at the STD Clinic complies with department and government guidelines. The Health Records Administrative Specialist III position also plays a key role supporting ongoing clinical operations, focusing on records management, cash management and other administrative support functions, including scheduled records purge activities. This position is expected to last 1 year.
WORK LOCATION: Harborview Medical Clinic - STD Clinic at 908 Jefferson St. Seattle, WA
WHO MAY APPLY: This position is open to the general public and all King County employees (including King County career service employees who have completed their initial County probation and are interested in a special duty assignment opportunity). You must have supervisor approval prior to taking a Special Duty Assignment.
MATERIALS NEEDED: Candidates for this position are required to submit the complete online application form with answers to the attached supplemental questions and a cover letter. The cover letter should clearly demonstrate how you meet the listed required and desired qualifications of the position and the reason of your interest.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday between 1:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Work days and hours will vary based on business need.
CONTACT: For questions about the application process, please contact Angela Brown at 206-477-5877 or firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION PROCESS: *Applications will be reviewed after the job posting closes. The following items are *required to be considered for this vacancy:
- NEOGOV/Government Jobs on-line or paper application
- Supplemental questions
- Cover letter which details how you meet or exceed the qualifications.
You may attach multiple documents if you wish:
- Copy and paste one or more documents into the text resume section of the application.
- Attach multiple documents/files in the resume/attachment section.
Your application may be rejected as incomplete if you if you do not include the standard information in the application, include relevant information only on the resume or cover letter, or if you reference "see resume" on your application. You must completely fill out the application with your relevant education and work experience.
- Has direct oversight of the day to day operations of medical records activities at the STD Clinic. This includes monitoring productivity and performance, ensuring all HIM targets are met which support efficient clinical operations.
- Serves as the custodian of clinical cash incentive fund(s) and supports and backs up patient service specialist team with daily cash deposits and securing clinical funds.
- Educates staff on new or revised departmental policies and procedures. This includes providing orientation to new providers and clinic staff as to the functions and support provided by HIM department
- Participates in the planning of ongoing staff development programs focused on improving the quality of our service around HIM.
- Addresses critical HIM supply needs within designated area and monitors and resolves any HIM related issues.
- Within the STD Clinic, act as a resource to clinicians and other providers related to documentation and other health information related issues.
QA/QI: Monitor the quality of work through QA/QI processes. Participating and coordinating in the Health Records purge activity. Ensures that all health records are in compliance with HIPAA and other regulations and guidelines. Coordinate release of health information activities for the Clinic and ensure compliance with regulations and guidelines. Identify and recommend training needs, provide training to staff.
ONE-ON-ONE TRAINING: Train staff from multiple disciplines on the use of various computer applications. Train front desk staff on clinic policies and procedures as they relate to their work. Attend monthly/quarterly Department or Division HIM meetings where new procedures and policies are presented. Requires strong training and verbal communication skills.
QUALITY ASSURANCE: Perform weekly/monthly QA audits on the Health Record Filing and Scanning processes. Participate in site quality council activities. Use Excel spreadsheets to report QA benchmarks. Identify errors, work with staff who fall below the established standard for accuracy. Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform and lead daily HIM operations at the site.
- Ability to demonstrate application of health records management and maintenance principles in both paper and electronic formats.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with patients, staff, and providers.
- Knowledge of various filing systems, including terminal digit and other health information management operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to comply with HIPAA, Federal and State regulatory principles and guidelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper release of patient information including understanding of Federal and State laws and regulations that govern the release of information (ROI).
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to apply various records retention guidelines.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications, to include but not limited to Word, Excel and Outlook. Applicants may be tested on these applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology.
- Demonstrated ability for detail oriented work and computer data entry skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high levels of accuracy while working quickly to complete duties.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to use basic office equipment.
- Demonstrated experience with cash handling and management.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in healthcare preferred.
- Current Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) credential or the ability to successfully pass the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Work experience in an organization that has an electronic health records system.
- Work experience at a site or organization level that involves participation in, and/or leading the implementation of an electronic health record.
Work experience with cash management. Supplemental Information
The selection process may include but is not limited to: evaluation of application materials and supplemental questions, interviewing, and testing. For more information on our selection process, please refer to www.kingcounty.gov/depts/health/jobs/hiring
- Staff may be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities and working hours.
- Applicants should be committed to working with diverse populations throughout King County to provide excellent customer service to a broad range of cultures, in accordance with the King County Equity and Social Justice Ordinance and the King County Strategic Plan. This position supports and advances King County's values for fair and culturally competent service delivery, innovative, effective and efficient application of resources, building a culture of performance, and expanding opportunities to seek input, listen and respond to industry and residents.
*NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: *
- The selected candidate will be required to pass a thorough background investigation.
- Employees are required to protect the privacy and security of protected health information as defined in State and Federal Law.
- Employees are required to adhere to OSHA/WISHA guidelines including but not limited to completing their mandatory trainings on time.
UNION AFFILIATION: This position is represented by Professional and Technical Engineers, Local #17.
Salary: $22.94 - $29.08 Hourly
Location: WA, WA
Job Type: Special Duty Assignment or Term Limited Temp (TLT)
Department: Public Health - Seattle and King County
Job Number: 2018AB08861
Closing: 11/25/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: King County
Address: King County Administration Bldg. 500 4th Ave. Rm. 553 Seattle, Washington, 98104