King County Washington Administrative Specialist II (Language Services) - Temporary in WA 98057 2906, Washington
This is an amazing opportunity to be engaged in the election process!
The Department of Elections is searching for Language translation professionals to support the following languages: Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese. *This job posting will be used to fill multiple *short term temporarypositions to support the Language Services Program. These individuals must be able to read, write and understand at the language proficiency testing level used by the Department.
These positions will translate and proof documents and web materials in Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese; conducts research, and provides administrative support to other election work groups as needed during elections. These positions are expected to begin on December 16, 2019 and last approximately one month.
The Department of Electionsis searching for energetic and resourceful Language translation professionals who like to "get stuff done". The Administrative Specialist II position in the Elections Department combines an exciting environment with the opportunity to cultivate talents and apply a variety of skills. The ideal candidate will thrive in an innovative, fast-paced environment and will not hesitate to roll up both sleeves, work hard, have fun, and get the job done.
WHO WE ARE: Our mission is to conduct fair, open and accurate elections. We manage voter registrations and elections for more than 1.3 million voters in King County, the largest vote-by-mail county in the United States and our vision is to be the leader in providing inclusive elections. King County Elections is focused on three key priorities – (1) actively identifying and working to remove barriers to voting at both the individual and community level, (2) strengthening relationships with community and governmental partners, and (3) creating a culture of professional growth and development, openness and inclusion. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx. You can also find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and you can learn about current events on our blog.
Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, including testing on language proficiency and translation skills, as well as office and computer skills.
Forms and Materials Required: King County online application and answers to the supplemental questions. Applications will be reviewed as received.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
- Translate or proof election-related documents and web materials to Spanish, Korean, Chinese or Vietnamese including but not limited to: voter registration information, letters and other correspondence to limited English speaking (LSE) voters including, notice of elections, ballot titles and voters' pamphlet information, candidate statements, ballot measures, resolutions and related materials.
Review, edit and proofread all translated documents produced by translation service providers and others for accuracy, clarity and consistency. Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
Fluency in English, including written and verbal communication and understanding of grammar.
- Must be able to read, write and understand one of the following 4 languages at the department's language proficiency testing level: Spanish, Korean, Chinese or Vietnamese.
- High level of language experience including interpreting, reading and writing into one of the 4 languages (Candidates will be tested to determine translation skills).
- Office and computer skills including the use of Word, Excel, and Outlook. (Candidates will be tested on office and computer skills.)
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Professional experience translating technical, legal, educational and/or political documents from English into one of the 4 languages. Supplemental Information
Travel to work locations throughout King County with limited or no public transportation services is required. A valid Washington State Driver's License is required to operate King County vehicles.
TESTING: Candidates who meet the qualifications will be invited in for testing. Testing will consist of the following: data entry, physical agility, language speaking and listening, and performing written translations on a computer using a language keyboard.
UNION: This position is represented by Teamsters Local 117, Professional & Technical and Administrative Employees.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The duties in this position are performed in an office setting and may be required to lift at least 20 lbs.
*For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact: * Reeshema Lewis Sr. HR Business Partner Reeshema.Lewis@kingcounty.gov (206) 263-8413
King County is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer and we encourage people of color, women, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.
Salary: $21.90 Hourly
Location: WA 98057-2906, WA
Job Type: Short Term Temporary, Full Time, 35 hrs/wk
Department: KCE - King County Elections
Job Number: 2019RL10770
Agency: King County
Address: King County Administration Bldg. 500 4th Ave. Rm. 553 Seattle, Washington, 98104