King County Washington Lifeguard in WA 98023, Washington
Be a part of King County Parks! The King County Parks mission is to serve communities and enhance regional quality of life through stewardship of parks, trails, facilities, and public open space in the King County region. Our system consists of more than 200 parks, 175 miles of regional trails, 130 miles of backcountry trails, and 26,000 acres of open space.
Do you love to swim We are seeking Lifeguards to work at the King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way WA. Lifeguards are responsible for the supervision and safety of pool users and spectators by educating and promoting habits and attitudes that lead to safe recreation, and for enforcing safety rules and responding to emergencies in an appropriate manner. Individuals must be able to work both independently and as part of an overall staff team. This position requires the ability to deal courteously and appropriately with the public in a variety of situations. Lifeguards may be required to work special events, evenings, weekends and split shifts.
Apply online at : www.kingcounty.gov/jobs. Contact David Hersey at 206-477-3302 if you have questions about the application process or about the job duties.
*Work Location: *King County Aquatic Center, 650 SW Campus Dr., Federal Way WA. 98023.
Work Schedule:The work schedule for this position is flexible and can be varied and event-driven. It may require weekends and late evening work. This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is overtime eligible.
- Educate the public in the rules and policies of the King County Aquatic Center.
- Enforce rules and policies of the King County Aquatic Center.
- Respond to all emergency situations.
- Work with other King County employees to provide safe conditions for the public.
- Report all unsafe situations or conditions to appropriate parties.
- Report all incidents of damages or injuries using appropriate forms. Complete reports accurately and in a timely manner.
- Adhere to blood borne pathogen training and safety standards.
- Promote good relationships with the public and user groups.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all patrons and staff.
- Attend scheduled staff training.
Wear the designated uniform as stated in the staff manual. The most competitive candidates will have the following:
Current American Red Cross certification in Lifeguard Training, Community First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- Current Northwest Lifeguard Preparation Course certification.
- Current Northwest Lifeguard Certification (highly recommended)
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers and to handle difficult situations using discretion, patience, proper etiquette, and professionalism.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to positively interact with a variety of people in a diverse work environment.
- Knowledge of aquatic programs and safety procedures.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Demonstrated punctuality, dependability and good work attendance. Physical Requirements:
Ability to respond to emergency situations.
- Maintain a minimum of 20/40 vision. Use of corrective lenses is acceptable.
- Ability to perform duties involving physical labor; such as bending, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, stooping, squatting, pushing, and twisting.
- Ability to perform strenuous activity.
Able to lift 50 pounds. Necessary Special Requirements:
Must possess Lifeguard certification from the American Red Cross.
- Passage of a pre-employment water rescue skills test is required before candidates can be hired to work in this position. Candidates may be tested on the following skills:
- Rescue of an active victim without the use of rescue equipment.
- Recovery of a submerged victim including safe removal from the water and follow-up care based on the condition of the victim.
- Rescue of a shallow water head, neck, or back injury including securing the victim to a back board and safe removal from the water.
Salary: $17.26 - $21.87 Hourly
Location: WA 98023, WA
Job Type: Short Term Temporary, Part Time, Std Wkly Hrs Vary
Department: DNRP - Natural Resources & Parks
Job Number: 2019-09395
Agency: King County
Address: King County Administration Bldg. 500 4th Ave. Rm. 553 Seattle, Washington, 98104