Kaiser Permanente Assistant, Medical Certified in Vancouver, Washington
Participates with the Health Care Team in delivering quality & customer focused health care to patients in a manner that reflects Kaiser Permanente's mission, vision & values. Provides clinical & administrative support to clinicians & other health care team members to offer a variety of health care services to patients. Clinical duties involve both direct (in person) & indirect (via phone or on-line) patient care activities requiring both simple to complex clinical knowledge & skills. As appropriate to the position's scope of authorized duties, the MA is expected to have competent observational, clinical, critical thinking, communication, problem-solving & decision-making skills in order to meet patient needs & contribute to a positive care experience & work environment. Works under the clinical supervision of the clinician for patient care activities, & under the general direction of the designated manager/supervisor.
Essential Functions:- Clinical Tasks: These job tasks provide patient care & are to be performed competently, consistently, accurately & according to established regional/departmental clinical protocols, policies & procedures & standards. - They are: Prepares & organizes patient's office visit for known reason/procedure by ensuring that all appropriate tests, clinical information (e.g. diagnostic test results, consultation reports, outside records, etc.) & order entries are ready for clinician review prior to appointment time.- Collects pertinent subjective (e.g. signs & symptoms, allergies, current medication, tobacco use, etc.) & objective (e.g. vital signs, height, weight, etc.) data related to patient's reason for visit (i.e. chief complaint, presenting symptoms or procedure).- Utilizes standardized tools (e.g. PST, health maintenance alerts) to identify & address health maintenance/care gaps with patient & alerts clinician on those that require his/her attention.- Recognizes signs & symptoms of common medical illnesses, abnormal versus new/existing & reports to clinician. - Alerts clinician on signs & symptoms requiring immediate attention & respond to directions per clinician- Prepares patient for actual visit/procedure prior to clinician's exam during rooming-in process.- Assures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms & educational materials are available & ready for use during visit/procedure.- Checks equipment are in safe working order & cleans room after use.- Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed by clinician.- Use KP HealthConnect & other information systems to document all pertinent data & outcomes of patient care according to standardized procedures & policies such as & not limited to the use of SBAR, KP HealthConnect smarttools, etc. - Updates demographic or historical clinical data gathered in the electronic medical record.- Clinical Procedures: Performs diagnostic tests, therapies & procedures within scope of authorized duties competently & with maintenance of proficiency according to: a) specific department standards on core clinical tasks (see department's list of core skills); b) application of knowledge & skills appropriate to developmental age of patient; & c) established policies such as & not limited to patient safety, aseptic & sterile techniques & infection control. - Examples of categories of clinical tasks are as follows: Screening tests - e.g. vital signs, vision, hearing, developmental, LOPS, pain, etc.- Diagnostic tests - e.g. urine dips, spirometry/peak flow, bladder scan, finger sticks for glucose, etc.- This job description is not all encompassing.
$2,500 sign on bonus eligible!
• Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program approved by the State.
• Medical Assistant - Certified in the State of Washington upon hire.
• Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers within thirty (30) days of hire.
• Employees must be able to successfully obtain Kaiser Permanente's Medication Administration Competency Certification within ninety (90) days of employment as a Medical Assistant.
• Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills (assessment required for external candidates).
• Demonstrated communication (written and oral) skills.
• Demonstrated literacy in using computers and keyboarding.
• Skills in problem-solving, setting priorities and using good judgment for decisions.
• Ability to work independently and efficiently under pressure.
• One (1) to two (2) plus years in a medical assistant position to assigned department's clinical area (e.g. Pediatrics, FP/IM, OB/Gyn, Surgery, Dermatology, Neurology, Cardiology, etc.) within an ambulatory care setting preferred.
• Demonstrated clinical knowledge and procedural skills and/or documented trainings in assigned department's clinical area within the last one (1) to three (3) years preferred.
• Current National Medical Assistant Certification preferred.
• Familiarity in documenting in an electronic medical record system preferred.
TITLE: Assistant, Medical Certified
LOCATION: Vancouver, Washington
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.
- Kaiser Permanente Jobs