Washington State Systems Administrator in Tumwater, Washington
Systems Administrator (ITS5)** Information Technology Headquarters Tumwater, WA
The Department of Corrections is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual to take on the dynamic role of a Systems Administrator - IT Specialist 5 (ITS5) for our Information Technology Unit. This is a full-time, permanent position located at Department of Corrections Headquarters in Tumwater, Washington.
Our mission at the Department of Corrections (DOC) is to 'improve public safety'. With a vast number of innovative sustainability programs, and evidence-based practices used to reduce recidivism, Washington State is highly regarded as a strong leader in the field of Corrections. For additional information about our agency, please visit doc.wa.gov.
This position is a senior technical expert in support of the Datacenter Services (DCS). The Systems Administrator plays a significant role in the delivery of agreed levels of service, to both end-users and customers, by providing expert technical-level support to the datacenter architect and leadership. The areas of support include the Enterprise compute (physical and virtual) as well as Enterprise storage and backup infrastructure while maintaining technical expertise in virtualization, storage, sever administration and datacenter facility management.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A detailed, chronological resume, and
- Letter of Interest that outlines how you meet the qualifications for this position
- A minimum of three (3) professional references with your application. A professional reference is defined as an individual who has been paid to supervise your work and can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job competencies.
Key responsibilities of a Systems Administrator – ITS5 include, but are not limited to:
- Perform service transition in all aspects of Enterprise compute (VMWare ESXi on Cisco UCS) and storage (NetApp).
- Define, design, and build highly complex Enterprise compute and storage infrastructures.
- Review service improvement opportunities for service reporting and management.
- Provide expert level configuration, installation, and monitoring of backup jobs for data and system protection.
- Provide operations inventory management.
- Deliver escalated, top tier operational support. Qualifications
- Five (5) years of information technology experience such as:
- Analyzing designing.
- Installing and/or maintaining computer software applications.
- Telecommunications or network infrastructure equipment.
- Providing customer or technical support in information technology.
- Administering or supervising staff who performed work in any of these information technology disciplines.
- Three (3) years of technical work experience in the last 5 years administering Microsoft Windows Servers in a professional business environment.
Two (2) years of the following:
Technical work experience installing, configuring, and administering Backup and Recovery systems.
- Technical work experience administering NetApp-storage devices.
- Technical work experience administering Virtualized Environments (vCenter, HyperV, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field from an accredited institution whose accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or foreign equivalent.
- Four (4) years of the following:
- Technical work experience installing, configuring, and administering VEEAM or/ Rubrik Backup and Recovery.
- Technical work experience administering NetApp storage devices.
- Technical work experience administering the VMWare vCenter suite on the Cisco UCS hardware platform.
- Technical work experience administering Microsoft Windows Server in a professional business environment.
- One (1) year of technical work experience scripting in Microsoft PowerShell.
- Certification such as MCTS: Windows Server, Active Directory, Configuration; MCTS: System Center Configuration Manager; MCSE: Messaging. Supplemental Information
'The mission of DOC is to improve public safety.'
For additional information about the agency, please visit doc.wa.gov.
Please include a minimum of three professional references with your application. A professional reference is defined as an individual who has been paid to supervise your work and can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job competencies. If you do not have any or sufficient professional references, please include non-related professionals, such as educators or other professional associates. *Phone number *AND_ email address are required for all professional references._
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Employees may work directly with or in close proximity to incarcerated individuals in a potentially hazardous setting. Please consider this when deciding whether to apply.
- We are committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment, and our employees are expected to comply with all state and federal laws. A pre-employment drug test may be administered as part of the selection process, and applicants who test positive for any controlled substances, will be disqualified from consideration.
- Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) is an aerosol pepper spray made available as a means of self-defense and/or de-escalation. Applicants with sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Animal care projects are a common component of most Washington State prisons, including dog and cat programs. Applicants with animal sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Tuberculosis (TB) is a priority health issue for DOC employees. The successful candidate may be required to provide valid proof of a baseline TB skin test within 60 days from the date of hire. When positive tests result, further information, testing and treatment may also be required. Employment is not contingent upon test results.
- This position may be represented by a Union Shop.
We are committed to hiring individuals who possess core diversity competencies:
- Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace.
- Work effectively with people of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, lifestyle preferences and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable.
- Promote inclusiveness.
- Be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions.
DOC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, honorably discharged veteran, veteran status, genetic information, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.
For questions about this recruitment, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email email@example.com or call us at (360) 725-8459. For TTY service, please call the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Salary: $5,465.00 - $7,173.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Corrections
Job Number: 2018-11229
Closing: 11/25/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact