Washington State IT System Administrator (Journey) DOH5184 in Tumwater, Washington
The Department of Health (DOH) works with others to protect and improve the health of all people in Washington State. We lead changes in policies, systems, and environments to prevent illness and injury, promote healthy families and communities, and encourage healthy lifestyles. Health Technology Solutions (HTS) provides technology solutions and management in support of the agency’s mission, strategic plan, and IT portfolio. The Service Management Office (SMO) is an organization created for the specific purpose of ensuring that IT services and enterprise systems provide optimal business value.
This position works within the Enterprise System Support team which administers the following enterprise applications and services: Team Collaboration (SharePoint), Learning Management System (LMS), and IT Service Management (ServiceCentral on the ServiceNow platform), our multifaceted IT Service Management platform. You’ll serve as an enterprise system administrator for these platforms, applications, and services, as well as the technical accessibility specialist for the agency.
We’re looking for someone with extensive organizational and technical skills to design, develop, test, implement, govern, support, train, consult, and manage the applications, services, and related processes. You will independently and collaboratively interact with application groups, communities of user groups, and business areas to help define and create solutions.
Our agency is committed to providing access to information technology to the public and Washington State employees including individuals with disabilities. This position is responsible for envisioning, designing, recommending, and implementing tools and technologies related to accessibility testing practices and how our applications and website comply with state and federal standards. You’ll provide IT accessibility expertise related to the procurement, development, maintenance, and utilization of our information technology systems so that they are accessible to individuals with disabilities.
You will have the opportunity to represent the agency in technical discussions with external business partners, stakeholders, and outside organizations. Defining and contributing to the development of policies, standards, guidelines, reference models, and principles that guide the development of information technology within the agency.
View the position description
The duty station for this position is Tumwater, WA. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, telework (mobile-work) is currently expected. When approved to return, the incumbents are expected to report to the duty station for work activities. Partial telecommuting may be an option subject to supervisory approval.
About the Department of Health Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions, and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies.
Benefits of Working for DOH Washington is America's Top State according to U.S. News (2019) and provides one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation.
Tumwater is a vibrant city just south of Olympia, the state's capital, with a small-town feel conveniently situated between Seattle and Portland. Tumwater enjoys the benefits of an engaged and educated community and a well-supported school system, with two universities and a community college within a ten-mile radius.
A* *healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for many positions.
- Growth and development opportunities.
- A wellness program that offers education, access to healthy food, and fitness classes.
- Opportunities to serve your community through meaningful work.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion by fostering an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work.
- An Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding.
- A modernized workplace.
What we’re looking for Success in this position requires one to be a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, bringing humility to their job and people interactions, and understanding how their words and actions affect others.
Option 1: A Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology program or a closely related field; and four (4) years (full-time equivalent) of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: Systems development, Application System Administration, Configuration Management, Systems/Server Management, Data Administration, Content Management System Administration, or Service Desk support.
Option 2: An Associate’s degree in Information Technology program or a closely related field; and six (6) years (full-time equivalent) of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: Systems development, Application System Administration, Configuration Management, Systems/Server Management, Data Administration, Content Management System Administration, or Service Desk support.
Option 3: Eight (8) years (full-time equivalent) of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: Systems development, Application System Administration, Configuration Management, Systems/Server Management, Data Administration, Content Management System Administration, or Service Desk support.
Professional Experience must include:
- Implementing, managing, or configuring Commercial off the Shelf web-based applications.
- Preparing documentation including internal technical documents such as system diagrams, test cases, and user documentation and manuals.
- Translating complex technical issues into readily understood concepts for staff, management, and the public.
- Experience with configuration/change management and data analysis.
- Customer service experience working directly with customer inquiries, problems, and complaints within a professional setting.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Computer Science, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience with consulting, analyzing, designing, directing projects, providing customer or technical support in information technology for an enterprise application.
- Experience working with varying assistive technologies such as Sort Site, JAWS, Dragon Naturally Speaking.
Application Process Intrigued? We’d love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest, describing how you meet the specific required and desired qualifications for this position.
- A current resume.
- Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) a subordinate.
Important Note: Do not attach documents that contain private information (social security number, date of birth, transcripts, etc.) or documents that are password protected. These documents will not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded. Veterans, please feel free to attach a copy of your redacted DD214.”
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce.
This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions With or without accommodation, I am willing and able to:
- Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle or provide alternative transportation.
- Occasionally work in excess of 40 hours per week and/or to adjust normally scheduled hours, which may include evening and weekends.
- Occasionally travel throughout the state (including rural areas) which may include overnight stays.
If you have questions, need alternative formats or other assistance please contact Zach Covington at (360) 480-0470, Zach.Covington[at]doh.wa.gov, or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 711 (Washington Relay). Technical support is provided by neogov, 855-524-5627 (can’t log in, password or email issues, error messages).
SUBSCRIBE to DOH Job Alerts
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.
Salary: $6,462.00 - $8,479.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Health
Job Number: DOH5184
Closing: 12/1/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact