Washington State Local Programs Office Engineer (TE3) Part-Time in Spokane, Washington
About WSDOT Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project. The Opportunity WSDOT is currently seeking a part-time Transportation Engineer 3 in the Eastern Region Local Programs office. This is an outstanding opportunity for an established professional who has a strong background in transportation related policies and processes. This position will be responsible for administering state and federal transportation funding to local agencies.
Our top candidate will have a working knowledge in the areas of program management, design, consultant contracts, environmental, right of way, and construction administration. The position requires close coordination and communication with local agency stakeholders to fulfill the conditions of state and federal grants and ensure compliance.
What to Expect This is a part-time position, scheduled to work 24 hours a week. There is flexibility in which days/hours you work. Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Coordinate financial and administrative oversight for local agency federal and state funded transportation projects.
- Coordinate activities of Eastern Region Local Programs annual appropriation dollars for transportation and transit improvements.
- Provide guidance and support to local agencies in correct procedures for funding application, consultant contracting, environmental consideration, design requirements, project bid advertisement, DBE requirements, procedural regulations, and project and contract administration.
- Analyze and develop documentation to obtain FHWA and Headquarters agreement of project revision, deviations, and project management review of federal aid projects for project closure.
- Provide training to local agencies to ensure compliance with the Local Agency Guidelines (LAG) Manual.
Represents WSDOT at meetings with local agencies, consultants, contractors, and other stakeholders. Qualifications To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
One year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent such as a Bridge Engineer 2 or Transportation Planning Specialist 2.
- Ability to comprehend and apply federal, state, and local policies as it relates to the delivery of local agency projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build trust with internal and external customers and stakeholders.
- Strong computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Windows, Word, Outlook, Publisher, and Excel.
- The ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- Valid driver's license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Basic knowledge of FHWA regulations and procedures.
- Knowledge of WSDOT policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of engineering practices outlined in the Association of American State Highway and Transportation Official (AASHTO) Guide for Highway and Street Design, and other federally recognized engineering publications.
*Important Notes *
- Please note this is a part-time position, scheduled to work 24 hours per week.
*Why WSDOT *
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available, including occasional telework for eligible positions. * *
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information. Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:_ _
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter summarizing your qualifications highlighted in your application and supplemental questions, indicating why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity. * *
*WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may *contact the listed Recruiter.
*WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit *www.uscis.gov.
Contact us For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-ER-60728 in the subject line.
Salary: $32.36 - $43.53 Hourly
Location: Spokane County – Spokane, WA
Job Type: Part Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-ER-60728
Closing: 12/1/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact