YMCA of the Inland Northwest Karate Instructor in Spokane, Washington
OUR CULTURE: At the Y, you can channel your passion into a lifelong career helping to deliver positive change. Every day, our staff -- of all ages and from all walks of life -- work to bridge the gaps in community needs by nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving our community's health and well-being, and providing support to our neighbors, by serving others, building strong relationships, and incorporating our YMCA values into our everyday work.
POSITION SUMMARY: This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. The Karate Instructor supplies direct leadership, instruction, and motivation for children participating in Karate programming at the YMCA. The Karate Instructor is a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual, modeling great leadership and communication skills in and outside of purposeful YMCA programming.
- Administer curriculum to karate participants, maintaining safe, effective, modified, and accessible routines for all children.
- Welcome all participants to the facility, keep running records of attendance, and motivate participants to perform their best during programming.
- Utilizes proper spotting techniques, ensuring children only attempt skills they can perform
- Observe participant skills, evaluate individual and group needs and abilities, and provide meaningful feedback on their performance and progress
- Set-up and tear down equipment daily, checking all equipment for safety and reporting any deficiencies to the director.
- Knows, reviews, and applies all safety, emergency, and child abuse prevention policies and procedures, responding to emergency situations in accordance with YMCA protocol
- Provides and welcomes ongoing dialogue with families about their child's participation in activities, behaviors, and related topics, connecting families to the YMCA.
- Must have a strong knowledge and background of Karate, martial arts, basic anatomy, physiology, and injury prevention techniques.
- At least one year of experience teaching or instructing martial arts
- Experience in leading a group, specifically youth and can create new program routines and modifications for this population. Able to respond professionally and swiftly in cases of injuries and emergencies
- Completes YMCA required trainings upon hire
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds
* WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:*
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to bend, kneel, lean, and stand for extended periods of time, moving from sitting to standing positions
The employee is regularly exposed to communicable diseases, thus engaging in frequent handwashing, and sanitizing of equipment
The employee is regularly required to maintain alertness for several hours at a time
The employee is regularly required to move around the work environment
The employee is regularly required to communicate with participants using oral comprehension and expression, as well as active listening as speech recognition
The employee is frequently required to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight
The employee must occasionally lift and carry supplies weighing up to 20 pounds
The employee mu