YMCA of the Inland Northwest Group Exercise Instructor in Spokane, Washington
This job was posted by https://idahoworks.gov : For more information, please see: https://idahoworks.gov/jobs/1984878
*OUR CULTURE:\ *At the Y, you can channel your passion into a lifelong career helping to deliver positive change. Every day, our staff of all ages and from all walks of life work to bridge the gaps in community needs by nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving our communitys health and well-being, and providing support to our neighbors, by serving others, building strong relationships, and incorporating our YMCA values into our everyday work.
*POSITION SUMMARY:\ *This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. The Group Exercise Instructor supplies group exercise instruction and support for the Health and Wellness department. The Group Exercise Instructor maintains a safe and friendly environment while they lead members through a purposeful fitness program fit to their health and exercise needs.
- Plan, develop, adapt, and teach group exercise classes and other programming as part of the Health & Wellness Department, maintaining safe, effective, modified, and accessible routines for all members
- Welcome members to the facility, keep running records of participant attendance, and motivate participants to perform their best during programming.
- Observe class participants, evaluate individual and group needs and abilities, and provide meaningful feedback on their performance and progress
- Ensure the safety and well-being of class participants by enforcing policies and procedures set for the facility and group exercise classes.
- Instruct participants in maintaining exertion levels and proper breathing techniques during group exercise classes
- Demonstrate through action and interaction with staff, YMCA members and the public, the Four Character Development Principles of the YMCA: Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Interpret and communicates the Mission, objectives, and programs to Members and program participants through YMCA activities, trainings, fundraising, and staff meetings
- Group Fitness Instructor Certification from one or more of the
following: AFAA, ACE, ACSM, NASM, NSCA, or other nationally
recognized through NCCA, tested, and renewal required certification.
- If only teaching Yoga, must be registered with RYA
- Six months to one year experience leading group exercise classes preferred.
- Completes YMCA required trainings upon hire
- Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- Utilities above average program implementation skills, outstanding communication skills, and exceptional organizational skills
- Able to respond professionally and swiftly in cases of injuries and emergencies
\ WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to bend, kneel, stand for extended periods of time, and move from sitting to standing positions
- The employee is regularly required to maintain alertness for several hours at a time
- The employee is regularly exposed to communicable diseases, thus engaging in frequent handwashing, and sanitizing of equipment
- The employee is frequently required to lift up to 50 pounds
- The employee is regularly required to communicate with participants using oral comprehension and expression, as well as active listening as speech recognition
- The employee must be prepared to respond to emergencies on the Health and Wellness floor
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
*DIVERSITY STATEMENT\ *The YMCA of the Inland Northwest commits to being an inclusive organization for all. Driven by our mission and values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility we actively work to close equity gaps for marginalized and underserved groups. We are inspired to elevate social justice issues facing our community, remove systemic barriers, welcome cultural diversity,and create equity for those in greatest need. Through collaboration with our diverse community partners together we work to effect meaningful change. In all things, we are dedicated to ensuring our Y is a safe, welcoming place for all people to be, belong, and become. The YMCA of the Inland Northwest provides Equal Employment Op