Washington State Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer 3 - Spokane Port of Entry in Spokane, Washington
THIS INTERNAL RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO WASHINGTON STATE PATROL*_CVEO__ 3s FOR TRANSFER OPPORTUNITY, AND FOR__CVEO__ 2s FOR A PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITY_.*
The Washington State Patrol, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Bureau (CVEB) consists of the following:
Commercial Vehicle Division (CVD) conducts school bus and Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) inspection, and assisting the Fuel Tax Evasion Task Force.
The Motor Carrier Safety Division (MCSD) includes the Compliance Review (CR) / New Entrant (NE) Program, the Tow Truck Inspection Program, Fuel Tax Evasion Task Force, Training Section and the School Bus Inspection Program. The CR / NE Section conducts in-depth investigations of carrier compliance with safety and hazardous materials regulations.
The Property Management Division includes the Fleet, Facilities and Supply Sections.
MCSD is offering interviews for a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer (CVEO) 3 opening located at the Spokane Port of Entry.
Essential Functions Tasks and Skills:
- Engage in activities and or events that will ensure proficiency according to industry standards and computer technology.
- Accurately perform basic math and report writing; accurately accomplish tasks in a multi-task environment.
- Successfully carry out department objectives independently with minimal supervision.
- Work alternating/rotating shifts to ensure the objectives and/or tasks of the department are accomplished.
- Manage dynamic workloads with shifting priorities to ensure department objectives and tasks are successfully accomplished.
- Communicate effectively to ensure the objectives and/or tasks of the department are successfully accomplished.
- Engage in activities and/or events that will ensure Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA), Compliance Review and New Entrant certifications.
- Successfully utilize time management techniques to accomplish department objectives and tasks.
- Be able to testify accurately and credibly in court.
- Attendance as assigned/required.
In addition to the duties/requirements and responsibilities for a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer (CVEO) 2, this position is responsible for the day to day operations of a Commercial Vehicle Enforcement (CVE) Detachment. This includes but is not limited to the following duties:
- Assigns and schedules staff / officers to work specific assignments and shifts to maintain a comprehensive CVE program.
- Reviews work reports; completed inspections; duty responsibilities and compile th necessary records to fairly and impartially evaluate the work progress of Commercial Vehicle Officers 1, CVEO 1s, CVEO 2 personnel.
- Schedules all required training and monitors the progress of subordinates in each aspect of their assigned functions; ensuring a safe and productive work environment for each employee.
- Provides leadership, mentoring, and coaching to subordinate personnel keeping sufficient records to recall and report to his/her supervisor.
- Assigns on the job training monitoring work habits of subordinates in order to provide the necessary mentoring to develop future leaders in the agency.
- Must accept responsibility and account for his/her actions and the actions of assigned subordinates.
- Performs duties of an armed CVEO 3 with authority limited to commercial motor vehicle and the drivers; supervise CVOs/CVEOs in the detachment. Responsible for all essential functions of a CVEO 3.
- Serve as liaison between CVEB and other WSP elements, officers, the department and various stakeholders (i.e trucking industry and associations, federal and local law enforcement agencies)
- CVSA inspections; enforce all laws and regulations within the authority of position as a limited CVEO. Qualifications
High School Diploma or GED. Must be a permanent/current CVEO 2 for at least two (2) years as of July 15, 2018. Must possess and maintain Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance Certification. A valid non-probationary, non-restricted Washington State driver's license is required. Possess strong written and communication skills. Physically able to crawl under or climb around/over vehicles in order to inspect for compliance with state safety, proper condition, weight, height, length, width, and other configuration laws. Physically capable to lift and deploy portable scales (up to 50 lbs) to weigh vehicles. Work in an environment that has potential for exposure to hazardous and/or radioactive material. Work in potentially volatile situations with vehicle drivers, work independently - including nights, weekends and holidays in all types of weather conditions and settings, including private residences, offices, truck shops, etc., while keeping supervisor informed at all times. Accept responsibility and account for his/her actions. Perform work accurately and thoroughly. Be organized and capable of following a systematic method of performing a task. Complete tasks or continue in a course of action in spite of opposition or discouragement. Be dependable and trustworthy. Be accountable for one's conduct. Must be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace. This position may be expected to respond when called out for emergency situations.
Bachelor's degree in business administration, public administration, or police science. Knowledge of the CMV industry. Ability to meet productivity standards, deadlines, and work schedules. Be comfortable making decisions independently. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to act in a self-confident manner to facilitate completion of a work assignment or to defend a position or idea. Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word. Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
Must possess and maintain Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance Certification. Employee must live within the State of Washington.
Employees with assigned take home vehicles shall live within forty-five (45) miles of their assigned district, division, or duty station.
_HOW TO APPLY: _
Please apply directly online at www.careers.wa.gov.
You are required to attach a resume, last two years Performance and Development Plan (PDPs), and letter of interest with your online application explaining how you meet the qualifications for this position as outlined above. Provide clear, detailed information about your education and job-related experience.
If you have questions regarding this announcement, please contact Ms. Yvette Fabregas at (360) 704-2308 or Yvette.Fabregas@wsp.wa.gov or Ms. Darlonna Vaughan at (360) 704-2313 or Darlonna.Vaughan@wsp.wa.gov.
If selected to interview for this position, the following materials must be submitted for consideration: performance evaluations for the last two years, résumé, and cover letter.
Selection will be based on a review of the above materials in addition to an Office of Professional Standards (OPS) employee history, the online application, a written exercise, and an oral interview.
Education verification is part of the selection process. If selected as a top candidate, all required education and education listed in your application materials must be verified in advance. Please do not send these transcripts at the time of application. If you are selected as a top candidate you will be contacted by the Human Resource Division and asked to provide transcripts at the appropriate time.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance in the application or assessment process, or those needing this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 704-2317. Applicants that are deaf or hard of hearing may call through the Washington Relay Service 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
The Washington State Patrol actively supports diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary: $4,893.00 - $6,416.00 Monthly
Location: Spokane County – Spokane, WA
Job Type: Agency Internal - Permanent
Department: Washington State Patrol
Job Number: 2018-06967 CVEO 3 #0810
Closing: 7/22/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact