Washington State Application Developer – Public Health Lab COVID-19 Project (Journey) DOH5086 in Shoreline, Washington
Application review is ongoing.
The Department of Health works with others to protect and improve the health of all people in Washington State. We lead changes in policies, systems, and environments to prevent illness and injury, promote healthy families and communities, and encourage healthy lifestyles. We do this by focusing on places where people live, learn, work, recreate, seek healthcare, and worship.
The Health Information Technology (HTS) team provides technology solutions and management in support of the agency’s mission, strategic plan, and the agency’s IT Portfolio. The Office of Applications and Data Services provides high-quality technology services by developing and implementing reliable IT systems, providing and supporting mechanisms for collecting, managing, and presenting data to ultimately maximize its usefulness for public health decisions and business functions.
These positions are part of a team that is responsible for the implementation and management of various systems and the data that supports the Department of Health and statewide response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The impact of these systems and the data supported is across the department, state, and at the federal level. The impact is to the general public, Local Health Jurisdictions, laboratories, hospitals, clinics, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The team will be working with various vendors and other state agencies as necessary to support this work
These positions manage the agency’s laboratory Information Technology Application development systems and data that flows to and from laboratory equipment to these systems.
As primary support for the laboratory to assist COVID-19 business processes, these positions have responsibility for ensuring continuity of operations between various IT applications that span many critical business functions. You’ll have the opportunity to perform application development, data management, system administration, and IT architecture.
View the full position description.
This recruitment will be used to fill multiple positions. These project positions are anticipated to be funded through December 30, 2022.
The duty station for this position is Shoreline, WA. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, telework (mobile-work) and occasional work onsite at the Public Health Laboratories is required. Incumbents must have internet access and connectivity. When approved to return full-time, the incumbents are expected to report to the duty station for work activities. Partial telecommuting may be an option subject to supervisory approval.* Note: *Under the Governor’s Directive, 20-08, this position may be subject to one furlough day per month beginning August 1, 2020, through November 30, 2020.
About the Department of Health Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions, and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies.
Benefits of Working for DOH Washington is America's Top State according to U.S. News (2019) and provides one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation.
The City of Shoreline boasts a unique history and character derived from original settlements dating back to the late 1800s. The quality that drew early settlers to the area remains dominant to this day: location. The City of Shoreline offers classic Puget Sound beauty and the convenience of suburban living with the attractions of nearby urban opportunities. Over the years, the Shoreline community has developed a reputation for strong neighborhoods, excellent schools, and abundant parks.
A* *healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for many positions.
- Growth and development opportunities.
- A wellness program that offers education, access to healthy food, and fitness classes.
- Opportunities to serve your community through meaningful work.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion by fostering an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work.
- An Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding.
- A modernized workplace.
Some of what you’ll be doing:
- Develop, test, and maintain agency and business unit applications supported by the Public Health Laboratories (PHL) IT unit
- Configure Internet Information Services in hosting environments to enable the use of web-enabled applications by external or internal users, and to ensure DOH security standards are met.
- Design small to enterprise-level N-Tier agency and business unit web applications that interact with multiple data source types, web services or data warehouses,
- Participate in small to enterprise-level development projects by developing the application design.
- Design, implement, and support pre-production environments such as development, test, and quality assurance.
- Develop communication plans and manage expectations of business units and HTS staff.
- Plan and develop test plans, cases, and scenarios.
- Conduct system and unit testing for all supported systems.
- Appropriately use commercial testing tools, such as Microsoft Visual Studio Unit Testing, and Open Source tools to ensure code developed meets coding, security, and functional testing requirements.
- Utilize DBMS software (MS SQL Server, MS Access, MySql, MongoDB) to design, develop, & maintain databases and applications using simple to highly complex database queries and statements.
- Compile procedures, user-defined functions, and queries using database querying syntax that are well-structured and re-usable.
- Solve simple to highly complex IT problems, including defining and analyzing the problem, identifying & testing solutions, choosing & implementing the best solution, documenting the changes in the agency configuration management tracking system, and evaluating the outcome.
What we’re looking for Success in this position requires one to be a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, bringing humility to their job and people interactions, and understanding how their words and actions affect others.
Option 1:A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Information Technology program or a closely related field; and four (4) years (full-time equivalent) of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications. Additional years of experience can substitute for education on a one for one basis.
Option 2: An Associate’s degree or higher in Information Technology program or a closely related field; and six (6) years (full-time equivalent) of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications. Additional years of experience can substitute for education on a one for one basis.
Option 3: Eight (8) years (full-time equivalent) of professional experience in one or more of the following IT disciplines: consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications.
AND Three (3) years of experience in the following:
- Using MS-Visual Studio Development tools and Open Source tools to maintain and develop agency or corporate level systems.
- Using Microsoft SQL Management tools or Open Source alternative to develop and maintain back-end codes and database objects
- Experience working with relational databases.
- Interpreting user requirements and software design documentation to be used for software development.
Application Process Intrigued? We’d love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest, describing how you meet the specific required and desired qualifications for this position.
- A current resume.
- Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) a subordinate.
Important Note: Do not attach documents that contain private information (social security number, date of birth, transcripts, etc.) or documents that are password protected. These documents will not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded. Veterans, please feel free to attach a copy of your redacted DD214.”
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination based on race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce.
This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
SUBSCRIBE to DOH Job Alerts
The salary listed includes 5% premium pay due to the duty station of this position being located in King County.
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.
Salary: $6,461.00 - $8,477.00 Monthly
Location: King County - Shoreline, WA
Job Type: Project (limited duration)
Department: Dept. of Health
Job Number: DOH5086
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact