University of Washington TRUCK DRIVER 2 (FLEX) in Seattle, Washington
Req #: 187610
Department: UW FACILITIES: TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
Appointing Department Web Address: https://facilities.uw.edu/
Posting Date: 02/23/2021
Closing Info: Closes On 03/01/2021
Salary: $3,246 to $4,325/month
Shift: First Shift
Notes: The University of Washington is following physical distancing directives from state and local governments as part of the collective effort to combat the spread of COVID-19. Click here for updates
“Onsite work” in the interim will vary for units and for specific positions and will be discussed with candidates during the interview process.
Work Schedule: Work a variable 8-hour schedule as early as 6:30am as needed.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
UW Facilities manages the University’s buildings, infrastructure and land, with more than 1,100 employees in a variety of fields. The Asset Management group includes Capital & Space Management, Real Estate, Sustainability and other teams responsible for planning and workload management. The Operations group includes Project Delivery, Maintenance & Construction, Campus Utilities & Operations, Building Services, Transportation Services and Safety. Supporting these groups, as well as the separate Emergency Management team, are the Business Intelligence & Information Technology group and the Finance & Administration group.
Please visit the UW Facilities web page for more information: UW Facilities
We have an outstanding opportunity for a Truck Driver 2 (Flex).
Under the direction of the Assistant Manager for UW Shuttles, operate a wheelchair lift-equipped 30-foot or larger passenger bus, multi-passenger wheelchair lift-equipped cutaway van, or single occupancy wheelchair lift-equipped van for the purpose of transporting University students, faculty, staff, medical personnel, patients, patients' family members, visitors and selected materials, including medical commodities, between specified medical and/or campus facilities. As such, UW Shuttles are considered an extension of the patient-focused culture.
This is an essential services position, which means that staff must report to work even if it is announced that the University has declared suspended operations due to inclement weather or other emergent situations. UW Shuttles provides service on behalf of UW Medicine/UW Medical Center and affiliated organizations.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Conduct pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections; complete daily vehicle inspection paperwork and report any vehicle maintenance problems to supervisor or lead driver. • Drive 30 foot or larger passenger bus, multi-passenger cutaway van, or single occupancy van in varied weather and traffic conditions within specific time constraints. • Provide safe and courteous transportation between specified facilities. • Adhere to traffic regulations and report any accidents or injuries immediately. • Maintain route schedule. • Drive various vehicles & routes and work varied shifts as mandated by program need. • Provide excellent customer service through effective, clear, courteous and professional interactions with clients, colleagues and the campus community. • Communicate courteously and effectively; provide verbal information to the public regarding routes, schedules, medical commodities, directions and other service-related information; communicate and interact with individuals of various backgrounds and speaking or physical/cognitive abilities; use public announcement system to make stop announcements along the route. • Assist passengers getting on and off bus or van as needed. • Possess and apply the ability to handle stressful situations and changing priorities effectively. • Communicate effectively with the program manager, assistant manager, lead driver, and administrative staff via two-way radio when traffic, vehicle, or passenger issues occur; contact other drivers as needed to relay traffic information when problems are encountered; respond to two-way radio calls from dispatch in a safe and timely manner. • Remove litter from bus or van between runs and at end of each shift; sweep bus or van at end of shift; fuel vehicles as required. • Keep accurate records regarding the number of passengers and commodities transported on daily route sheets; track data on driver manifests as required; assist in developing routes, stops, and detours as needed; assist in maintaining UW access maps & guides. • Review, compose and respond to work-related e-mail as needed; complete computer-based reports as needed. • Support all management directives and the vision and values of Transportation Services. • Comply with all University, Facilities Services and Transportation Services policies and procedures. • Participate in and follow through with Transportation Services process improvement initiatives (Balanced Scorecard, Lean, Ideas Systems). • Actively participate in meetings and training as scheduled. • Perform other duties as assigned
• Demonstrate personal integrity and trustworthiness. • Manage stressful situations and changing priorities effectively. • Anticipate, recognize and resolve problems. • Be responsible and accountable. • Use organizational skills and provide attention to details. • Maintain a positive, optimistic, and success-oriented attitude. • Exercise professionalism, which includes being tactful and courteous. • Exhibit a professional work ethic. • Continuously promote a safe work environment.
• One year of full-time experience as a Truck Driver or similar work OR equivalent education/experience
• AND possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license with an intermediate or equivalent endorsement.
Additional Requirements include:
• Washington State Class B Commercial Driver's License or higher with Passenger Endorsement and the air brake restriction removed. • Possession of current CDL medical certification at time of employment. • Excellent driving record. • Experience as a bus driver. • Basic computer skills or willingness to learn/use computers and related applications. • Excellent customer service experience. • Effective verbal and written communication skills. • Demonstrated ability to perform successfully working independently and as part of a team. • Must be able to follow written and/or verbal instructions and communicate in English regarding the use of chemicals, supplies, and equipment; comply with safety policies and procedures.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Experience driving 20+ passenger vehicles. • Experience operating wheelchair lift-equipped vehicles. • Experience transporting persons with disabilities. • One year of experience as a bus driver. • Valid CPR/First Aid certification. • Knowledge of University of Washington campus & facilities. • Experience with process improvement initiatives.
Conditions of Employment:
• Pre-employment drug test is required coupled with participation in an ongoing random drug/alcohol testing program in compliance with Federal regulations. • Possession of a valid Washington State Class B Commercial Driver's License or higher with Passenger Endorsement and the air brake restriction removed. • Ability to lift and move materials is required, including the following: occasionally lifting up to 25 lbs. to chest height, and handling heavier items with assistance and/or the aid of lifting equipment. Must also be able to bend and climb stairs on a regular basis. • Must be able to work in a non-smoking environment. • UW Shuttles provides service on behalf of UW Medicine/UW Medical Center and affiliated organizations. As such, UW Shuttles are considered an extension of the patient-focused culture and drivers are required to maintain the following vaccinations, consistent with UWMC policy 35-5: Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap), and Influenza with the exception of Hepatitis B. • Must be able to work in a non-smoking environment. • Regular and predictable attendance is required.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here. (https://hr.uw.edu/benefits/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/02/benefits-classified-staff-20210208.pdf)
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
University of Washington
- University of Washington Jobs