Hearst Television Technical Writer in Seattle, Washington
We are a company of passionate individuals striving to improve healthcare and patient experiences. Our medical content and software tools empower doctors and nurses to make the best decisions for patients, and our work makes a difference in people’s lives.
The Technical Writing team is trusted and respected by their peers in Development and Product and as MCG has grown, so has the demand for their support. They are valued for their ability to understand the systems, distill the impact of changes to users, and translate those changes into meaningful content. We’re looking to bring a new Technical Writer onto that team, does that sound like you?
We work in an Agile environment, so you’ll spend a lot of your time meeting with product owners and developers, rather than reading and translating requirements. You’ll be responsible for engaging with these teams to identify and capture changes as early as possible which often means sitting with developers, participating in daily stand ups, and joining quarterly planning events. You’ll identify the work to be done and negotiate timelines with product owners, adapting as needed to changing business needs. In this specific position you’ll largely be responsible for writing developer facing content so experience documenting APIs, SDKs and a good understanding of webservices is preferred.
In this role you will:
- Develop a deep understanding of MCG solutions and the clients and external software partners that use them in order to identify and document the details of feature changes that are most important to them
- Become an integral part of the scrum team, attending meetings and events to stay up to date with changes to the software solutions you cover
- Work closely with Product Management and Development teams throughout sprint cycles and planning, sitting with developers as needed to ensure effective understanding of changes
- Collaborate with Product Owners to determine publication schedules, content review and approval requirements and impact on scrum team schedules
- Adhere to user assistance team writing and style guidelines, marketing branding guidelines and mcg documentation guidelines
- Support technical documentation of the Informed by MCG product which allows our content to integrate with software partners using APIs, SDKs and Webservices
- Use Madcap Pro, and XML and topic based authoring tool for creating documentation
- Take on additional project to support the Technical Writing team’s progression including process and quality improvements
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have 3+ years technical writing experience in the software industry researching and interviewing development teams
- You have experience writing developer facing documentation, preferably about APIs, SDKs or webservices, and have a basic understanding of how software works
- You have excellent writing, editing, and communication skills, in addition to a strong command of English language and grammar
- You have a proven ability interpret, organize and edit technical material for easy and practical use by technical and non-technical audiences
- You are comfortable working in an agile environment, understand the sprint cadence, and can adapt if/when things change
- You are familiar with XML and/or topic-based authoring tools such as Madcap Flare or Adobe Framemaker, though any considered
- You have excellent work management skills and a proven ability to meet deadlines
- You enjoy working collaboratively with a variety of internal groups and functions
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Communications, Business or English preferred, or equivalent experience
We’re excited to see this team expanding! We are a very purpose driven organization and see so much opportunity for you to make a difference both in our company and our industry. If you’re a passionate, collaborative Technical Writer and want to work collaboratively as part of a team where you are valued and respected, this is the opportunity for you. Apply today and we’ll take it from there!
We embrace diversity, equal opportunity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. It is only with diverse thoughts and ideas that we'll be able to create the change we want in Healthcare. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be for it.