Amazon Apprenticeship System Development Engineer in Seattle, Washington
The Amazon DynamoDB team is looking for a talented DevOps/Systems Development Engineer to join our energetic, fast-moving, and passionate team. We build and manage a highly scalable, distributed key-value and document database service and focus on the hard problems so customers can focus on their business. Many of the world's fastest growing businesses depend on the scale and performance of DynamoDB to support their mission-critical workloads. On the DynamoDB team, our mission is to provide customers with best-in-class cloud database services to store, query, and analyze the enormous datasets that their businesses generate. We build distributed storage, index, and query systems that are scalable, low cost, and easy to manage and use.
Are you a "Find it, Fix it, Automate it, Never worry about it again" kind of engineer? Are you interested in building operational tooling for hyper-scale database services in the cloud? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on hundreds of thousands of users who use AWS DynamoDB?
We are looking for a Systems Development Engineer to own automating operational and business practices. This will include identifying and resolving issues, automating and improving repetitive processes, and working closely with the development team. You will drive prioritization of operational issues, and drive automation design and scaling requirements to support the service. Primary responsibilities include troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing operational issues, developing monitoring solutions, performing infrastructure maintenance and configuration, automating repetitive manual processes, developing tooling for infrastructure requirements, updating, tracking and resolving technical challenges. Responsibilities also include working alongside development, updating/enhancing our current software, automation of support processes and documentation of our systems. You will work with Senior and Principal Engineers and have the opportunity to hire and mentor junior engineers. If you want to work in a deeply technical space and excited about huge impact, this role is engaging, challenging, and full of opportunities to learn and grow. Joining the Amazon DynamoDB team gives you the opportunity to:
· Work on a fast growing business in AWS
· Solve challenging operational problems for a large scale, distributed system
· Build services that leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
· Work for a company that’s a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
If this sounds interesting to you, come join us!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or four years of equivalent experience
· 3+ years of experience in Systems Administration, Network Administration, AWS Cloud App development, DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering
· 3+ years of experience building automated tools in AWS lambda, Java, Python, Node.js, Bash, REST APIs, and JSON encoding
· Experience with agile software development practices
· 3+ years of proven operating systems knowledge Linux/Unix
· 3+ years’ experience in a large-scale software development environment.
· Working experience and good understanding of the AWS environment, including VPC, EC2, EBS, S3, SQS, Cloud Formation and Lambda.
· Working knowledge of TCP/IP networking, HTTP and HTTPS, load-balancers (ELB), NGINX and high availability architecture.
· Hands on experience with monitoring tools such as AWS CloudWatch
· Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues.
· A history of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in a dynamic environment.
· Must be a self-starter and motivated.
· Experience with maintaining distributed systems and web services
· Understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
· Automation, testing or monitoring framework development
· System engineering experience in the cloud
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities
who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.