King County Washington Safety and Health Professional - Certified (Updated 6/14/18) in Seattle, Washington
King County's award-winning Safety & Claims Office, within the Human Resources Division, seeks candidates for the position of Safety & Health Professional - Certified.
Our team of safety professionals works with King County departments, divisions, offices, and leaders to provide a safe environment to all King County citizens, whether employees or members of the public doing business with King County. Our team promotes safe workplace practices, ensures safety is effectively addressed in King County contracts, conducts hazard assessments, and partners with County colleagues to develop and implement safety programs. We are seeking a creative and dedicated safety and health professional to join our team.
*King County *
As the only county in the United States named after Martin Luther King, Jr., King County is a vibrant community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the artistic and social traditions of many cultures. Together, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence.
We continue to build on an enduring legacy of shared values of equity and social justice, employee engagement, innovative thinking, and continuous improvement. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda aimed at advancing regional change and is developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents, regardless of their race or income. All of these qualities make King County one of the nation's best places to live, work, and play.
Who May Apply:This career service position, represented by Teamsters Local 117 Professional and Technical, is open to all qualified candidates.
*Work Location: *King County Administration Building, 500 4th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104
Work Schedule: The typical workweek is Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. This position is exempt under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and is ineligible for overtime compensation.
Forms and Materials Required:Please fully complete an online employment application at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs, including responses to the supplemental questions, a resume and letter of interest. In your letter of interest, please detail how your skills and experience align with the needs and requirements of this position. Please see application instructions at the end of this posting for more details.
Contact: If you have additional questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Lisa Longdon, Human Resources Division, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (206) 477-3258.
- Provide consultant/information services for safety and health staff in County departments. Oversee programs and ensure alignment with King County and HR strategic plan and goals.
- Develop and implement evolving safety and health risk management strategies for the County.
- Analyze and interpret legislation and codes; identify implications to the County and ensure policies are amended to keep the County in compliance with changing requirements.
- Plan, organize and implement safety and health programs for multiple departments.
- Consult with, advise, and assist County management in regulatory compliance, workers' compensation, training, industrial hygiene, auditing and safety/health best practices.
- Design and implement safety and industrial hygiene inspections, surveys, and audits of facilities and construction projects.
- Conduct industrial hygiene evaluations for chemical exposure, occupational illnesses, indoor air quality, noise exposure, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, ergonomics and office ventilation systems.
- Guide and assist safety staff in review and analysis of safety and health issues unique to assigned departments; resolve issues and implement solutions.
- Use sophisticated instrumentation including direct-reading data-logging instruments, air sampling pumps and calibration devices, sound level meters, octave-band analyzers and noise dosimeters, and radio frequency spectrum analyzers. Select appropriate sampling media, methodologies and analytical approaches. Interpret results and present findings.
- Provide loss control recommendations based on hazard analysis and/or results of industrial hygiene surveys or studies.
- Design and deliver safety and industrial hygiene training to employees and management.
- Function as expert witness on behalf of King County providing testimony on safety and health/industrial hygiene reports and workers compensation claims. Act as liaison and arbitrator in cases involving the Department of Labor and Industries.
- Participate in negotiation of contracts and interlocal agreements; coordinate and monitor the work of outside agencies and vendors.
- Review new construction and remodel drawings and documents to ensure appropriate ventilation systems and workspace design are incorporated into the plans. Meet with architects, project managers, and designers to ensure safety, industrial hygiene and ergonomic issues are appropriately addressed.
- Monitor construction projects to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local regulations.
- Develop and recommend project budget allocations, resources, and staffing needs.
- Develop, track, monitor, and evaluate projects.
- Evaluate systems design to comply with federal, state and local regulations.
Perform other duties as assigned. Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
Bachelor degree in industrial hygiene, safety, engineering or related field and five years of experience in a safety or occupational health related field
OR, any combination of experience/education/training that clearly demonstrates the ability to perform all the key deliverables and expectations of the position
- Advanced knowledge of federal, state and local safety and health regulations
- Advanced technical knowledge and skill in specialty areas such as industrial hygiene, safety, engineering, ergonomics, fire protection and systems safety
- Advanced knowledge and skill in the use of specialized instruments used in industrial hygiene evaluations
- Knowledge of program development, implementation, management and evaluation practices
- Skill in project management and program design
- Skill in planning and organization
- Skill in problem-solving and analysis
- Skill in building and maintaining interpersonal relationships
- Skill in the use of personal computers and word processing and database management software
- Skill in the interpretation of health and safety regulations
- Skills in analyzing emergency conditions and directing appropriate resources
- Skill in managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Skill in customer service and training
- Skill in working with a variety of individuals from diverse background
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
Skill in using current office software programs including word processing, spreadsheet, database and email .LICENSING/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
To be considered you MUST hold one of the following active and current certifications:
- Certified Industrial Hygienist and/or Certified Safety Professional
- A valid driver's license or the ability to travel to safety and health emergencies throughout King County alone.
*Application Process: *Applicants should complete the online application, supplemental question, and attach or paste in your resume and letter of interest. Applicants who are unable to apply online should follow the instructions under Tips On Applying at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs *PLEASE NOTE: *Your application will be rejected as incomplete if you do not include the requested and relevant information in the on-line application and include the information only on the letter of interest and/or resume. Applications that state "see my resume" are considered incomplete and will not be accepted. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed job application.
If you need an accommodation in the recruitment process or an alternate format of this announcement, please inquire directly with the Human Resources contact for this job announcement.
*Selection Process: *Applicants will be screened for clarity, completeness, and competitiveness. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in one or more interviews. Reference checks will also be conducted.
Salary: $91,291.20 - $115,710.40 Annually
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/week
Department: Department of Executive Services - Human Resources Division
Job Number: 2018LL08249
Closing: 6/27/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: King County
Address: King County Administration Bldg. 500 4th Ave. Rm. 553 Seattle, Washington, 98104