Virginia Mason Medical Center Microbiology Support Technician in Seattle, Washington
Job Number: 182899
Hours: 6:00a - 2:30p
The Microbiology Support Technician follows standard operating procedures to prepare clinical specimens (e.g., blood, body fluids, tissue, sputum specimens) for microbiological analysis by the Medical Technologist to demonstrate an infectious agent.
Located in Seattle, WA, Virginia Mason is an internationally recognized leader in the continuous improvement of health care. With an extensive list of awards and distinctions that includes our recognition as Top Hospital of the Decade by The Leapfrog Group, Virginia Mason offers you the opportunity to partner with exceptionally talented peers at every level.
You will contribute to the strength of our Team Medicine approach to collaborative medicine and benefit from the changes enacted through our Virginia Mason Production System, a model that has transformed health care by providing patients with easier access to care, reducing errors, and continuously innovating patient safety and quality that has been adopted by other organizations here and abroad. Join us, and find out how many ways Virginia Mason offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients.
· Associate’s Degree in a laboratory science or medical laboratory technology, obtained from an accredited institution, or two years post-secondary education or experience in a laboratory science.
· 1 year of previous experience in a clinical laboratory setting required.
· Working knowledge of laboratory equipment (e.g., biological safety cabinet, centrifuge, cytocentrifuge, and autoclave), including maintenance and troubleshooting.
· Working knowledge of specimen collection, and handling requirements for microbiologic assays.
· Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office programs.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks in a high stress environment; ability to work quickly and with a high degree of accuracy; ability to work independently and handle variable workloads; strong computer skills; excellent communication skills; and strong interpersonal skills.
· Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeing, moving, lifting of equipment up to 50 pounds.
1 year of previous experience in a Clinical Microbiology laboratory preferred.
Virginia Mason offers much more than competitive compensation and benefits. With continuing education opportunities and the added potential of relocation assistance, you will find our commitment to your well-being is both rewarding and refreshing.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Virginia Mason Medical Center is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Virginia Mason provides healthcare without regard to race, color, religion (creed), sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin (ancestry) or disability. Disability Accommodation: To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Recruiting Offices at 866-422-2275 (voice) or 206-515-5891 (fax). Virginia Mason makes every effort to honor disability accommodation requests. Requests can be responded to most effectively if received as far in advance as possible.