Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Lead Software Engineer in Seattle, Washington
Disney’s Platform Engineering brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams into one global organization. Platform Engineering is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company's content engines. Disney Streaming encompasses the teams behind the Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, and Star+ streaming services within the Platform Engineering group. We sit at the intersection between entertainment, sports, and technology and seek to connect viewers with the stories they love, while pushing the streaming industry forward with consumer-first innovation.
The Content and Experience Delivery organization is composed of teams on a mission to deliver the best browse experience to our viewers across all of the Disney Streaming brands. The Experience Data Distribution team is central to that mission: we build the core data services and APIs that power the applications and services used by Disney Streaming subscribers. Our challenge is to provide low latency and high availability at scale for millions of users, with an interface that can keep up with our constantly-growing streaming applications. As a Lead Software Engineer, you will collaborate closely with engineers, project managers, and product managers to find the best solution for our viewers. You will drive projects end-to-end: designing the initial solution; finding alignment with partner teams; execution of the necessary code; and overseeing the deployment of code to production. Members of the team look to your code and documentation as examples of excellence. You value good-faith collaboration, driving best practices, and promoting excellence on your team. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
● Actively participate in daily stand-ups and other scrum ceremonies
● Design new solutions and drive alignment across engineering and product teams.
● Expertly break down work at the epic level, setting project milestones with reasonable deadlines.
● Prioritize work within a project to deliver on the most necessary or urgent requirements.
● Anticipate and mitigate risk on projects.
● Effectively communicate with stakeholders on project progress.
● Write code to implement new features or optimize existing services.
● Determine the most efficient means to sufficiently test new code: unit tests, integration tests, performance tests, etc.
● Set best practices for the team for on-call responsibilities such as deployments, monitoring, and investigating incidents
● Use logs, monitoring tools, and work with developers to determine root causes across distributed components.
● Perform code reviews for members of the team, bearing a sense of responsibility for approved code.
● Coach and mentor teammates in an open, respectful, flexible, empathetic manner. Help onboard new team members.
● 7+ years of related experience crafting and operating backend services.
● 2+ years of related experience crafting and operating large-scale, high-availability backend services.
● Experience crafting and operating JVM services (such as Java, Scala, Kotlin). ● Proven track record of designing and driving consensus on backend architectures.
● Deep understanding of and experience using caching technologies (such as Redis, Memcached, EHcache).
● Deep understanding of and experience using streaming data technologies (Kinesis, Apache Kafka)
● Strong grasp of computer science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, databases, etc).
● Strong understanding of design patterns and principles (particularly system design principles such as CQRS).
● Experience with asynchronous programming.
● Experience with object-oriented programming patterns.
● Experience with functional programming patterns.
● Experience using source control systems and CI/CD pipelines (such as git, Github, Jenkins).
● Experience with AGILE/Scrum practices.
● Skilled at work breakdown and task estimation.
● 1+ years practicing operational best practices for service maintenance.
● Experience collaborating to drive organizational change.
● Experience deploying and scaling within a cloud infrastructure.
● Experience in Big Data ETL technologies like Spark or Flink
● Degree in Computer Science, related field, or related experience
The hiring range for this remote position is $156,292.00 to $209,660.00 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
Job ID: 10057295
Job Posting Company: Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.