City of Seattle Civil Engineering Specialist, Senior in Seattle, Washington
Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
The Generation Operations & Engineering Division has an exciting opportunity for a senior level design drafter in the Technical Resources Unit. This senior level position will be responsible for Meridian document management standards and workflow processes as well as for providing engineering support and design drafting to civil, mechanical, electrical and structural engineers. This position will report to the Technical Resources Manager.
- Create and/or modify existing architectural, civil, mechanical, structural and electrical drawings to meet design criteria for new or modified assets.
- Work with engineering, operations, and maintenance personnel to assess, consolidate, organize, and correct deficiencies in existing facility design drawings, data, and other related documentation.
- Check, verify, and provide quality control for own designs as well as the designs of other designers and engineering staff.
- Act as the lead document controller for the Meridian document management system;
- Refine and develop documentation for engineering drawing workflow, drafting and design standards and AutoCAD integration with Meridian document management system.
- Coordinate with other document controllers, effectively completing work tasks by providing responsive customer service.
- Stay abreast in city-wide technology initiatives and integrate those innovations into generation and substation engineering.
- Strong knowledge of the principles, techniques, materials, equipment and nomenclature used in engineering design and drafting.
- Mentoring and training associate and assistant civil engineering specialists, engineering aides and interns.
Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with regulations common in the electric utility industry. Work Environment*:*
Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment.
- Field assignments entail exposure to all types of weather, traffic, hazardous/toxic substances and work in or near construction sites.
- May be required to lift over 50 pounds.
- May be required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Overnight travel may be required. Qualifications
Requires four years of Civil Engineering experience and an Associate Degree in Civil Engineering Technology or two years of college level coursework in engineering and construction technology (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
*Certification/License: *Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
- Expert knowledge in preparing construction plan sets utilizing AutoDesk products
- Document management software experience
- Structural steel detailing knowledge
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of civil infrastructure typical of generation and substation facilities
- Knowledge of electrical utility systems
- Experience applying industry specific design and drafting standards
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, engineering, operations and management Additional Information
To be considered for this opportunity, candidates must submit a completed application via this bulletin and attach:
- A cover letter describing how your qualifications and experience meet those required and desired for the position.
- Resume Job offers are contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process including the completion of a pre-employment physical and background check which includes criminal history and driving history review.
Want to know more about Seattle City Light? Check out our web page: http://www.seattle.gov/light/.
Salary: $44.79 - $50.18 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle City Light
Job Number: 2018-00759
Closing: 5/29/2018 4:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Seattle
Address: Seattle Municipal Tower 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500 Seattle, Washington, 98104