City of Seattle Associate Transportation Planner in Seattle, Washington
Work in the Transit & Mobility Division of the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) with a team of professionals whose mission is to deliver a high-quality transportation system for Seattle.
This position will work primarily on the City's Restricted Parking Zone program, including leading the completion of the city's RPZ Policy Review, and subsequent implementation efforts of a revised data-driven RPZ program. This includes data gathering, analysis, neighborhood outreach efforts, communications, and systems development needs that are associated with a robust performance-based data-driven program. This position will also work on the day-to-day tasks associated with the RPZ program, including processing requests for new zones and zone expansions, and the public process associated with these tasks. This position will play an assisting role in other projects and efforts related to on-street parking, such as: the Annual Parking Study, work with the Community Access and Parking Program neighborhood outreach, the pay by plate development project; and in efforts to consider, update, and address parking policy issues.
Assist in the development and improvement of parking services and parking project delivery.
Support development of city parking policies & plans.
Provide data analysis in support of policy and operational objectives.
Prepare briefing and outreach materials; deliver presentations to the public and represent SDOT at various forums and community meetings.
RPZ Policy Review
Serve as deputy project manager through end of project
Lead effort to finalize legislation, revise Director's Rule and draft Standard Operating Procedures
Lead effort to plan implementation of updated program
Assist with developing and finalizing public outreach materials
Assist with briefing elected officials
Process requests for zone expansions
Lead parking study development, analysis, and discussion
Assist with public outreach surrounding changes to zones
Develop and present proposals
Coordinate with Community Access and Parking Program
Assist with development of RPZ Data Cube
Pay Station Operations
- Assist as needed with pay station operations and conversion to pay-by-plate functionality
Performance-based Parking Pricing Program
Assist with development of Annual Report
Assist with rate change materials
Respond to constituent inquiries
Explain and/or investigate issues Support department goals in promoting diversity and social justice.
These responsibilities are only a summary of typical functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Transportation Planning, Urban Planning or related field (or a combination of education and/or training) and two years transportation planning experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base. Required Certifications/Licenses:
Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
- Working knowledge of transportation and urban planning, traffic engineering, project management and planning, and research methodology and analysis
- Familiarity with planning and data analysis issues related to parking
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and devise solutions to unique and technically difficult transportation planning issues and problems
- Experience preparing briefing materials and delivering presentations to the public, government agencies and elected officials on controversial topics
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to resolve problems and plan and perform assignments
- Multilingual ability a plus
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends as required
- Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility
- A background check may be required for this position Additional Information
Applications are reviewed after the job posting closes. Submit the following to be considered for these vacancies:
- NEOGOV online (or paper) application
- Supplemental questionnaire
- A cover letter AND résumé
Your application may be rejected if these items are missing or incomplete. Simply providing a cover letter and résumé is not a substitute for completing the application itself.
Job offer is contingent upon verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process and may include an oral interview, reference and criminal history background check, and a review of driving history.
Learn more about Seattle Department of Transportation by visiting our webpage.
Salary: $39.62 - $46.13 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle Department of Transportation
Job Number: 2018-00778
Closing: 5/29/2018 4:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Seattle
Address: Seattle Municipal Tower 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500 Seattle, Washington, 98104