Marriott Assistant Director of Group Sales in Seattle, Washington
Job Number 24022096
Job Category Sales & Marketing
Location Sheraton Grand Seattle, 1400 6th Ave, Seattle, Washington, United States
Located Remotely? N
Position Type Management
Functions as the assistant sales leader of the property’s group sales effort for specific group business and manages a team of on property group sales associates. Shares responsibility for achieving group revenue goals and guest and associate satisfaction. Implements the brand’s service strategy and applicable brand initiatives in all aspects of the sales process. Manages the day-to-day leadership oversight of a team of on-property group Senior Sales Executives and administrative associates with a focus on building long-term, value-based customer relationships that enable achievement of the property’s sales objectives. Maintains accountability for verifying that the team maximizes group revenue opportunities by up-selling and accurately forecasting revenues (e.g., catering and group rooms) for all events. Acts as the on-property liaison for group sales within the pre-defined peak room parameters for Property Sales. Contracts and closes group business. Achieves group revenue goals by actively up-selling each business opportunity to maximize revenue opportunity.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the sales and marketing or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the sales and marketing or related professional area.
• 4-year college degree.
• Demonstrated skills in supervising a team.
• Group sales experience.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Sales Activities
• Manages, directs and assists the on-property Senior Sales Executive to achieve revenue goals for all opportunities.
• Participates on the sales leadership team with Director of Sales and Marketing (DOSM), Director of Group Sales (DOGS) and Revenue teams.
• Achieves group revenue goals by responding to incoming group/catering opportunities for the property that are within the pre-defined peak room parameters.
• Understands the overall market (e.g., competitors’ strengths and weaknesses, economic trends, supply and demand etc.) and knows how to sell against them.
• Closes the best opportunities for the property based on market conditions and property needs.
• Uses negotiating skills and creative selling abilities to close on business and negotiate contracts.
• Achieves group revenue goals by actively up-selling each business opportunity to maximize revenue opportunity.
• May act as the primary point of contact in resolving customer issues, contract issues and Group Lodging Organization (GLO) wide opportunities for bookings that are kept on property.
• Acts as lead "sales leader" onsite inspections (e.g., warm welcome, chef tables, fond farewell).
• Assists Director of Sales and Marketing (DOSM) and Director of Group Sales (DOGS) on executing corporate/ regional/ brand requests for information and data as well as owner meetings.
• Assists Director of Sales and Marketing (DOSM) and Director of Group Sales (DOGS) with execution of brand initiatives (e.g., Closing Day, stretch goals, Critical Control Points (CCP's), etc.).
• Participates in and aids in the completion of each hotel's business plan calls, group segment calls, and period end review calls.
• Provides specific sales representation at Line Up, Staff meeting, General Sessions, Projections meeting, and Strategy meetings.
• Develops and manages group sales revenue and operation budgets and provides forecasting reports.
• Works with management team to create and implement a group sales/marketing plan addressing revenue, customers and market.
• Assists with selling, implementation and follow-through of group sales promotions.
• Executes and supports Marriott’s Customer Service Standards and hotel’s Brand Standards.
• Executes and supports the operational aspects of business booked (e.g., generating proposal, writing contract, customer correspondence).
• Participates in and practices daily service basics of the brand.
• Verifies that the property implements a seamless turnover from sales to operations and back to sales, while consistently delivering high level of service.
• Monitors the effective resolution of guest issues that arise as a result of the sales process by creating mechanisms to channel issues to property leadership and/or other appropriate stakeholders.
• Maintains successful performance by increasing revenues, controlling expenses and providing a return on investment for the owner and Marriott International.
• Implements the brand’s service strategy and applicable brand initiatives in all aspects of the sales process.
• Perform other duties, as assigned, to meet business needs.
Building Successful Relationships
• Works collaboratively with off-property sales channels (e.g., Group Sales within the Sales Office, Area Sales, Account Sales, Global Sales Team) to establish the property needs are being achieved and the sales efforts are complementary, not duplicative.
• Interacts with guests/clients, sales and kitchen, vendors, competitors, local community, catering associations and other hotel departments in order to establish guest satisfaction.
• Executes exemplary customer service to drive customer satisfaction and loyalty by assisting the customer and establishing their satisfaction before and during their program/event.
• Serves the customer by understanding their needs and recommending the appropriate features and services that best meet their needs and exceed their expectations, while building a relationship and loyalty to Marriott.
• Gains understanding of the hotel’s primary target customer and service expectations; serves the customer by understanding their business, business issues and concerns, to offer better business solution both prior to, and during the program/event.
• Coordinates and deploys group sales resources on-property to establish pull-through and sustainment of sales strategies and selling solutions.
• Develops a close working relationship with operations to execute strategies at the hotel level.
• Functions as the leader of the property’s group sales effort for specific group business.
• Manages and directs the on-property dedicated group sales effort to achieve hotel revenue goals by proactively targeting current and new high value accounts in the market and implementing effective sales deployment strategies to grow market share.
• Works with the Director of Sales and Marketing to establish understanding of sales strategy and effective implementation of this strategy for the hotel.
• Assists with managing the on property administrative support team.
• Provides leadership, mentoring and support for direct reports.
• Sets goals and completes performance management responsibilities for all direct reports.
• Shares responsibility for achieving group revenue goals, guest and associate satisfaction.
• Maintains ultimate accountability for verifying that the team maximizes group revenue opportunities by up-selling and accurately forecasting revenues (e.g., catering and group rooms) for all events.
The salary range for this position is $95,000.00 to $128,000.00 annually. In addition to the annual salary, the position will be eligible to receive a quarterly bonus. This position offers coverage for medical, dental, vision, health care flexible spending account, dependent care flexible spending account, life insurance, disability insurance, accident insurance, adoption expense reimbursements, paid parental leave, educational assistance, 401(k) plan, stock purchase plan, discounts at Marriott properties, commuter benefits, employee assistance plan, and childcare discounts. Benefits are subject to terms and conditions, which may include rules regarding eligibility, enrollment, waiting period, contribution, benefit limits, election changes, benefit exclusions, and others. Employees will accrue 0.07693 PTO balance for every hour worked.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
When you join the Sheraton family, you become a member of its global community. We’ve been a place to gather and connect since 1937. At Sheraton, associates create a sense of belonging in more than 400 communities around the world. We invite, we welcome, and we connect guests through engaging experiences and thoughtful service. If you’re a team player who is excited to deliver a meaningful guest experience, we encourage you to explore your next career opportunity with Sheraton. Join us on our mission to be ‘The World’s Gathering Place’. In joining Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, you join a portfolio of brands with Marriott International. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you.
- Marriott Jobs