City of Seattle Accountant - Long-Term Temporary in Seattle, Washington
With an annual budget of over $1 billion, Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a dynamic and multi-faceted, rate-payer funded utility. Our promise to the community focuses on providing efficient and forward-looking utility services for our residential and business customers and keeping Seattle the best place to live. SPU is committed to the delivery of a high-quality water supply, essential wastewater, storm water and solid waste services to more than 1.5 million customers we serve in the greater Seattle metropolitan area.
SPU has an opening for two long-term temporary Accountants with its Accounts Receivable team. This position is integral to the Sundry and Transfer Station billing function and will assist with stabilization of the City's recent Summit Reimplementation project (a recent new financial system for the City). The Accountant works closely with the Accounting Technicians to ensure invoices and monthly statements are prepared accurately and sent to customers in a timely manner. This position is responsible for reviewing and approving the work of the Accounting Technicians and supporting the Senior Accountant with special projects. This position reports to the Accounts Receivable Manager in SPU's Accounting Division.
These Long-Term Temporary Assignments are currently budgeted for up to 3 years and provide fringe benefits including medical, dental and vision, paid vacation, holidays and sick leave.
- Prepare invoice billings
- Work with internal and external customers to resolve billing issues
- Prepare Leasehold Excise Tax
- Audit and reconcile assigned accounts in the general ledger
- Research, analyze, and prepare journals for financial transactions
- Analyze and maintain subsidiary ledgers
- Work collaboratively with staff from other sections to provide information and improve processes
- Coordinate, monitor, and review the work of Accounting Technicians; train and provide backup support for Accounting Technicians
- Assist in the development and modification of accounting control policies, documenting procedures, and practices
- Assist in special projects such as research and analysis of financial information Qualifications
Education: A Bachelor's Degree in Accounting (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
Successful candidates will have:
- One or more years of professional experience in accounting with a large, complex financial system
- Strong PC, spreadsheet, and software skills (particularly with Excel, Access, and PeopleSoft applications) are highly desired
- Top candidates will also possess the ability to work independently and exercise good judgment with limited supervision
- Demonstrated coordination, research, and analytical skills along with excellent customer service and communication skills contribute to success in this role
- Individuals should also be able to communicate and work effectively within a multicultural workforce serving a diverse customer base Job offers are contingent upon verification of information provided by the applicant as well as completion of a background check which includes criminal history. A background check will be required for candidates selected for employment who are not currently working for the City of Seattle.
Seattle Public Utilities consists of three lines of business: Drinking Water, Drainage and Wastewater, and Solid Waste. Seattle Public Utilities provides more than 1.3 million customers in King County with a reliable water supply, as well as managing essential sewer, garbage, recycling, yard waste, surface water, and engineering services for the community.
"Our Promise" to the community is to provide efficient and forward-looking utility services that keep Seattle the best place to live. Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation, and the environment.
As an employer, the City of Seattle is a leading local government in environmental stewardship, green building and social justice, making our City what it is today and shaping our future. Our employees play an important role in making this possible.
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at our web page www.seattle.gov/util/
Salary: $30.65 - $35.70 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Temporary - Benefit Eligible
Department: Seattle Public Utilities
Job Number: 2018-01038
Closing: 7/31/2018 4:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Seattle
Address: Seattle Municipal Tower 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500 Seattle, Washington, 98104