Energy Northwest Environmental Scientist - 6514 in Richland, Washington
Develops, implements, and administers environmental programs to ensure the safety of Energy Northwest facilities and protect human health and the environment. Provides leadership and coordination in developing company policies, programs, and procedures for assigned environmental programs to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental regulations. Works closely with all company organizations and levels of management to monitor, communicate, and report environmental information and performance, and to help resolve environmental problems and issues. At the principal level this requires the ability to perform highly complex tasks with a high level of independence.
• Assigned owner for one or more environmental programs. Interface with state and federal regulatory agencies. Responsible for routine written and oral communications with those agencies including participation in audits, inspections, and assessments using skills and experience gained through application of standards and regulatory requirements. Provide technical advice and proactive counsel to management on a wide range of complex environmental regulatory issues, interpretation and verification of industry guidance, and regulatory requirements for application to plant specific issues. Provide verbal and written management presentations on industry and generating station issues, preparation and presentation of new permit applications and subsequent amendments, and participation in industry regulatory initiatives. May provide unconventional or advanced problem solving techniques. Routinely provide technical leadership on complex and/or extended programs and projects.
• Coordinate with other Energy Northwest organizations to ensure environmental monitoring requirements (e.g., NPDES; REMP; Groundwater) are appropriately met and reported.
• Develop plans for programs, projects, audits, testing and inspections; lead audits and inspections. Use engineering judgment in evaluating results for findings. Respond to inspection reports and requests for interpretation and verification of industry and Energy Northwest issues. Participate in industry working groups and other discipline related activities.
• Perform regulatory analysis by monitoring changes in environmental regulations, and take actions to notify appropriate organizations and/or implement changes.
• Monitor plant events (condition reports) for impact/compliance with regulatory requirements. Provide assistance in determining reportability and making necessary notifications.
• Provide technical guidance routinely to other engineers; check and review technical products of others. Serve as a mentor.
• Integrate design, regulatory, operating, maintenance, and administrative requirements into tasks. Perform tasks within schedule and budget. Ensure effective coordination of efforts with other departments and disciplines. Work with minimum supervision.
Must participate on the Emergency Response Organization (ERO) when designated. Must support the biennial refueling outage.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Staff Level: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in an Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Biological Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university and three years of experience in an environmental related field.
Senior Level: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in an Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Biological Science, or related technical field from an accredited college or university and five years of experience in an environmental related field.
Principal Level: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in an Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Biological Science, or related technical field from an accredited college or university and eight years of experience in an environmental related field.
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting and compliance, air emissions permitting and compliance, State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA)
Staff Level Salary: $74,570 minimum to $93,213 midpoint
Senior Level Salary: $85,762 minimum to $107,203 midpoint
Principal Level Salary: $98,635 minimum to $123,294 midpoint
Typically, selected candidates are hired at a salary rate between the minimum and midpoint of the range, based on applicable experience and qualifications, market rate, internal equity, and budgetary allowances.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate due to race, color, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.
EEO (http://www.energy-northwest.com/whoweare/joinourteam/Documents/EEO%20is%20the%20Law%20poster.pdf) is the law, click here to learn more (http://www.energy-northwest.com/whoweare/joinourteam/Documents/EEO%20is%20the%20Law%20poster.pdf)
This posting is open through January 27, 2021.
- Energy Northwest Jobs