Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Deputy for Technology for Environmental Molecular Sciences in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308194
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental and Molecular Sciences
The Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) seek a senior scientist and technologist to provide scientific and technological leadership for EMSL’s instruments and capabilities and provide a technology vision and strategy for EMSL that aligns with and informs capability investment. EMSL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science user facility that provides innovative and breakthrough experimental and computational science to address DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) programs by providing access to more than 75 state-of-the-art instrumental and computational capabilities. The users propose to work with EMSL in BER-relevant science areas and if successful collaborate with EMSL on their science. EMSL users address some of the most important molecular-to-mesoscale challenges relevant to DOE missions. The successful candidate will quickly learn about the EMSL instrumentation, capabilities, science areas, the user program and BER’s scientific directions.
• National and international reputation in a science domain relevant to EMSL research.
• Established scientific network at other national laboratories, academia, industry and professional societies. Experience leading teams for research and strategy. .
• Conceives, plans and executes R&D with national/international influence. Successful in obtaining funding from external sponsors and funding teams of scientists to conduct R&D.
• Sought out for peer-reviews, invited speaker, and technically productive with peer-reviewed publications, chair session at national/international meetings.
• Recognized by Lab leadership, sponsors and collaborators to helps set national program directions with impact at Lab level
• Develops a technology strategy in concert with the EMSL Chief Scientist to serve BER-aligned biological and environmental research by engaging that research community to determine current and future science challenges and the technology and instrumentation required to meet those challenges. Works with EMSL Science Area and Computing Leads to ensure the technology strategy is represented in their strategy and vice versa.
• Responsible for ensuring instruments and technology platforms are able to meet the needs of the user program working with Capability Leads. Responsible for capability investment and development to ensure EMSL capabilities meet the needs of the current and future BER user community. Responsible for capital, major items of equipment (MIE), and non-capital equipment acquisition and divestment strategy and implementation working with EMSL leadership.
• Implements an outreach strategy with EMSL leadership to attract current and new users to EMSL. Represents EMSL technology and instrumentation to the broader scientific community and our sponsor BER. Organizes sessions to highlight EMSL technology development at national meetings. Recruits new users at scientific meetings. Communicates EMSL S&T capabilities to BER and BER-relevant PIs.
BS/BA with 11 years of experience; MS/MA with 9 years of experience; PhD with 7 years of experience.
• Ph.D. or advanced degree in a science domain relevant to the EMSL user facility with 10 years of experience. Experience managing large complex projects and with multiple participants. Demonstrated successful development and deployment of technology for the scientific community.
• Expertise and understanding of the EMSL user facility and application of EMSL instrumentation and technology to biological and environmental science.
• Knowledge of BER science and strategy.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Environmntl Molecular Sci Div
Opening Date: 2018-08-07
Closing Date: 2018-08-22