City of Renton Instructor, Coach and/or Official in Renton, Washington
PLEASE NOTE: *This is a _continuous application pool_ for Instructor, Coach or Official. As we need to fill these positions throughout the year, we will review applications from this continuous posting. Most programs are geared towards Athletics and Fitness, however we may have educational programming opportunities available as well. *
*Positions may be located at a variety of Renton Facilities with the majority being located at the Renton Community Center located at 1715 Maple Valley Hwy, Renton, WA 98057. *
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, instruct, coach, or officiate a specific skill/sport as explained in the program outline. Complete tasks as directed and contribute through good work habits and positive interactions with others. Instructors work in various recreation City programs as assigned and may be responsible for all supervision, management, and planning for the group, class, or program.
SUPERVISION: Reports To: Recreation Supervisor, Program Coordinator, or Recreation Specialist
- Demonstrate knowledge of classroom management, performance of skill, and organization of materials.
- Be familiar with and adhere to the department, facility, and program's policies, health and safety regulations, emergency procedures, and be ready to implement these if necessary.
- Monitor your assigned class in a safe and an enthusiastic environment.
- Class structure may consist of the following: warm-up, light aerobics exercise session, vigorous aerobics exercise session, light aerobics leading into a cool down and conditioning exercises.
- Officiate athletic events.
- Track and monitor score of athletic events.
- Ability to operate scoreboard, or other related equipment.
- Be an example of professional behavior and appropriate communication at all times.
- Plan, prepare, and care for the environment; participate in special setups; clean program area prior to exiting; assist in determining equipment needs.
- Communicate any pertinent concerns or problems regarding course/program in a timely manner to staff coordinator; when appropriate, participate in marketing program and assist in contacting students/participants.
- Report any damage, lost and found items, or injuries using appropriate forms; take attendance; distribute program evaluations and turn into staff coordinator.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Maintain positive and open communication with staff and management.
- Ensure effective, professional, and respectful interactions with customers and staff.
- Be ready to work by scheduled start time.
- Demonstrate appropriate judgment when solving problems and making decisions.
- Understand and follow direction given.
- Maintain regular, reliable, and punctual attendance.
- A certificate or license to teach the skill may be required for some programs. When appropriate, the incumbent may be asked to show proof of past experience and training in the area, certification, or license to perform task.
- Depending on the position, we may require a minimum of 16, or 18 years of age.
- Moderate athletic knowledge.
- Valid Washington State driver's license may be required for certain positions.
- Basic first aid and CPR/AED skills including current CPR certification may be required.
- Other licenses and requirements will vary depending on the program.
- Successfully pass a required background check.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The following represent the physical demands that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Frequent communication with City employees and customers.
- Lift or move items weighing up to 20 pounds on occasion, or regularly depending on the position.
- Work may be performed outside and in inclement weather.
- Noise level is moderately loud.
- Work evenings and/or weekends as assigned. Approved reasonable accommodation requests will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Selection Procedure: Please note, the City of Renton will be screening applications without using personal identifiers, such as name and address will not be visible. For that reason, you will not have the ability to attach any documents to your application, including a cover letter or resume. Please make sure to submit a complete, detailed, and updated job application.
Communication from the City of Renton: We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from rentonwa.gov and/or governmentjobs.com should be placed on your safe domain list to ensure you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: WA, WA
Job Type: Ongoing Supplemental
Department: Community Services - Recreation & Neighborhoods
Job Number: 2019 CS ICO
Agency: City of Renton
Address: 1055 South Grady Way Renton, Washington, 98057