Microsoft Corporation Principal Software Engineer in Redmond, Washington
Microsoft Azure is the “cloud” that everyone is talking and is the single biggest growth engine for Microsoft. We are the Azure Data part of overall Microsoft Azure organization. Specifically, we are the Azure Big Data team. We work on technologies such as big-data, public and private cloud, storage and open-source. We build reliable, highly scalable and highly performing distributed systems for data analytics on Azure. We work with various open-source technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Yarn, etc., and make contributions to these technologies. We are creating planetary, multi-tenant, high-scale management and storage systems. Such systems can scale to Exabyte of data (yes, that’s 18+ digits!), millions of companies, and presented in every continent of the world. At the same time, we also need to come up with efficient resource placement and load balancing algorithms in such large distributed system to ensure our cost and profit balance is healthy. On top of that, we need to solve problems like noisy neighbors, tenant fairness, private link network, security isolations, low service outage blast radius that are inherently challenging in high scale multi-tenant services. Azure services are also building next generation globally distributed, elastic scale, multi-model cloud database services. It is designed to enable developers to build planet-scale applications. For this job, you will join a very agile team, take on hard distributed system problems and ship high impact features at a rapid pace.
The Azure Synapse Platform Services team is responsible for building the platform components for our newest Analytics offering AKA Azure Synapse Analytics. These include, the Azure Portal, Control Plane, Resource Provider, Auto Scale & Self-Healing services, Monitoring, Telemetry Infra, Advanced Insights, Recommendations and anything else that is needed to stitch together all the components needed for single pane of glass experiences for customers. We employ advanced systems design patterns, distributed problem-solving techniques, Big Data Analytics, AI & ML to build this new and sophisticated platform offering. As a Software Engineer II in our team, you will have an opportunity to create customer impact by owning and driving features and collaborating with diverse teams.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Physics or IT related technical discipline or in place of 3+ years of internship or 3+ years of industry software engineering experience
· 10+ years of programming experience in Java OR C++ OR C# OR C OR object-oriented programming
· Experience working with Azure service fabric & .NET Core
· Experience building data pipelines, collecting metrics/logs and hauling data to storage specific to various needs (service monitoring, business monitoring etc.)
· Experience employing AI & ML to solve high impact business problems
· Experience working across teams spanning multiple orgs
· Experience with OSS components like Spark and Hadoop eco system
· Great curiosity and willingness to question
· High enthusiasm, integrity, ingenuity, results-orientation, self-motivation, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced competitive environment.
· Love the next problem, the next experiment, the next partner
· Have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems with groups, find win/win solutions and celebrate successes
· Get excited by the challenge of hard technical problems
· Solve problems by always leading with deep passion and empathy for customers
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest) .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Microsoft Corporation Jobs