Microsoft Corporation Battery Mechanical Engineer in Redmond, Washington
Are you looking to join a fast-paced team delivering industry leading products? Microsoft’s Surface is looking for a talented individual
to join the Battery team to design leading edge battery packs. As a Battery Mechanical Engineer you will be working on the latest technology and materials to give Surface products energy sources that are safe, compact, lightweight, and bring the best experience to users.
To be successful, you will need to collaborate across a variety of internal functional groups and with external development partners.
As a Battery Mechanical engineer, you will be working on the latest technology to give Surface products energy sources that are compact, lightweight, and bring the best experience to users. To be successful, you will need to collaborate across a variety of internal functional groups and with external development partners. You will be responsible for working with the Platform team to define requirements, to iteratively execute the mechanical battery pack design with internal and external partners, and to deliver battery packs to support development builds. The Battery ME covers Battery Pack Design, Pack Manufacturing, and integration into the device across a single platform.
Partner closely with Surface design engineers and external development partners to develop a safe and reliable battery system that meets physical, environmental and specific usage constraints, and work to refine these parameters as needed adjusting for frequent design changes.
This includes design of the battery protection PCB and associated components, physical layout design to meet capacity and space requirements, adoption and full support of critical safety considerations, prototype evaluation, safety reviews, design reviews and vendor inspections as required.
• BSME or equivalent, at least 5 years of experience in consumer electronics or related field
• Proficient use of ProE for 2D and 3D modeling
• Experience with battery cell and pack manufacturing processes and materials
• Proficient with battery cell and pack tooling design
• Knowledge of and ability to audit safe battery handling processes throughout supply chain
• Ability to ensure quality through specs, SPC, and inspection
• Demonstrated expertise in DFMEA
• Experience with metrology for dimensions and inspection
• Excellent root-cause problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated track record working with overseas suppliers, preferably in high-volume products
• Willing to travel overseas up to 25%
• Experience translating system-level requirements into component-level requirements
• Relentless curiosity and drive to make better products
• Ability to contribute constructively to technical debate that leads to better designs
• Team-oriented approach with the desire to both teach and learn from others
• Excellent written and oral communication
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Microsoft Corporation Jobs