Washington State Utility Worker 2 in Olympia, Washington
Please Note: Posting will be used to fill multiple openings
What you will be doing:
When you come on board, you will be part of a mission to ensure buildings and grounds are appropriately maintained and operate efficiently so that overall agencies accomplish the important work that we do. The tasks includes over 50 building, a powerhouse, several roads, four parks, the Capital Lake, five parking garages, historic buildings and grounds on the Capitol Campus, and off campus facilities in Thurston County.
You will be working with all specialized trades to complete and assist with tasks. The work does involve cooperation with other trade workers including but not limited to Carpentry, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, Electrical, Paint and Sign, and Grounds to accomplish the needed work. Please note, this position is expected to be the first responder to Work Management Center (WMC) calls throughout the business day and will physically go see issues called in to assess the work needing to be done. An important aspect is the need for customer service and attention to details.
Allow us to explain why you, a skilled professional, would want this unique job:
Not only will you get to work in the trades, but you will also get to hone your skills in administration. You won't be tied to any signalized trade either. You will be working with multiple trades that will allow you to expand your interests and experience. Between the trades and the admin side of your position, you will be building your portfolio to grow and promote into a signalized trade or into a completely different path of administrative work.
In addition, if that isn't enough? We also offer:
- We are close to downtown Olympia (where you have access to the water front, Farmer's Market, Capitol Lake and the Capitol Campus)
- DES promotes wellness and we are located in between a neighborhood and downtown with sidewalks to get out and walk or shop
- Nearby is the Chehalis bike trail
- A cafeteria in the building and local restaurants close by
- Bus service (including the DASH (free) shuttle
- Vanpool (commuting) opportunities
- Flexible schedules (upon completion of probation/trial service)
- MANY opportunities to promote within the agency Who we are: At the Department of Enterprise Services you will join a team that encourages creativity and works smarter. We do not believe in the notion, "this is how we have always done it", instead we actively embody, "how can we do it better?"
As a DES team member you are trained to listen to our customers and develop work processes around their satisfaction. We build and maintain a human centered culture, a work place where our customers are heard and matter and you are appreciated for the skills you bring to the team every day. We look for new team members who are dedicated to learning how we listen and understand our customer's expectations to create the solutions they need.
We are an agency passionately focused on "The Big Three":
- Customer Satisfaction,
- Team Member Satisfaction, and
- Financial Health. We measure our success and continually work to improve our performance based on these measures. We want to ensure both current and new team members see themselves in our Big Three, as well as our six key values beginning with respect for people.
Some of what you will enjoy doing will include:
- Under general supervision performs minor maintenance, repairs, cleaning, painting, and construction of buildings, grounds, utility systems, walkways, streets, parking lots and other paved areas.
- Operates hand and power tools and equipment such as skill saws, drill motors, drain cleaning equipment, power washers, and other equipment required to perform building and grounds maintenance, repair and construction.
- Operates motorized equipment such as trucks, tractors, forklifts and street cleaning equipment.
- Performs power washing of various walkways, sidewalks, other campus infrastructure, and other paved surfaces.
- Adjusts stock levels in the database & ensures the correct amount of stock is ordered for B&G; needs.
- Conduct spot check inventories and annual inventories.
- Ensures equipment tags and records are current.
- Verifies packages against packing slips, & check deliveries for damage.
- Coordinates local pickups with vendors determining best means for delivery/pickup taking into consideration the size of truck needed, if forklift is needed, etc.
- Assists trades with providing emergency pick up of orders in the local area when needed.
- Accurately prepares and inputs employee time and attendance records. Qualifications
Two (2) years of experience as a Utility Worker 1
** equivalent education/experience.
- High school graduate or GED
- Physical strength to perform heavy manual labor including lifting 50 lbs. and work inside, outside and in all types of weather.
- Ability to read and write
- Ability to understand and carry out instructions.
- Willing and able to stand for four hours or more. Supplemental Information
Please attach the following documents, failure to do so may result in not being considered for the position:
- A letter of interest that shows your personality and voice to describe why you are the successful candidate and how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- Current resume, detailing experience, and education; and
- A list of at least three (3) professional references with current telephone numbers. By submitting these materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
NOTE: * _Prior to any new appointment into the Department of Enterprise Services, a *background check _including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUSTattach a copy of their DD214, or other verification of military service. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.
Applicants claiming veteran's preference points must attach the documentation with each on-line application. If you do not provide appropriate documentation to qualify for these preference points, the points will not be awarded.
For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible,click here.
We thank you and are grateful for your service
The Department of Enterprise Services celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Lolo Florentino Arevalo at (360) 407-8074 or Lolo.firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary: $2,834.00 - $3,185.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Enterprise Services
Job Number: 2018-BNG-019
Closing: 10/22/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact