Washington State Proofreader 1 in Olympia, Washington
Exempt Recruitment Announcement Closes: 12 noon - February 15, 2021 JOB TITLE: Proofreader 1 REPORTS TO: *Proofreader Supervisor *START DATE: As soon as possible SALARY: Salary range of $3, 071 – $3,149 per month, DOQ This position qualifies for the full benefit package including retirement.
_ROLE: _ Proofreading involves working in a two-person team. One person reads aloud from a document marked with edits, while simultaneously, the other team member reviews a second document in which the marked edits have been incorporated. The goal of this process is to ensure that the marked edits are reflected correctly in the new document. Edits may include adding new language, changing existing language, and removing language. Proofreaders also read for standard spacing and numbering conventions, character changes, correct spelling (such as their vs. they’re), etc. Leading up to and during the Legislative Session, Revised Code of Washington (RCW) proofreaders proof all proposed legislation that comes through the Code Reviser’s Office, including bill drafts and amendments. During the Legislative Interim, teams proofread for formatting on session laws, changes made during codification, tables reflecting sections affected during the Legislative Session, drafts for publishing, and the RCW index. Interim RCW proofreading duties also include an audit of the RCW. In addition, proofreaders are cross-trained in order to provide assistance to the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) and Washington State Register (WSR) proofreading teams.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES: The ideal candidate will provide proofreading services for bill drafts, initiatives, amendments, etc. in a full-time capacity.
- Ability to work closely with other staff in a team environment where two persons are working together as “proofing partners”. This person will work in a team with an experienced proofreader in an environment of tight deadlines, a fast-paced office, and the demands and time constraints of the Legislative Session.
- Ability to read out loud to a partner and to listen as a partner reads to you.
- Excellent spelling, grammar and English language skills.
- Flexible, patient, organized, self-motivated and loves working with the “details”.
- Ability to answer phones and cover others’ desks while they are away.
- Ability to type 50 words per minute.
- Knowledge of alphabetical and numerical filing systems.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- A dependable and strong work ethic, and the ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Ability to seek and follow supervisory direction as required. Positive attitude and the ability to be an exceptional team member.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to remain seated for most of the day, working on a computer, in an office setting.
- Ability to work more than a 40-hour work week during Legislative Session.
- Other duties as necessary at the discretion of the Code Reviser. Must be able to work mandatory overtime during the Legislative Session that includes evenings, holidays and weekend work shifts, where leave is not typically approved unless there is an exceptional circumstance that arises.
_HOW TO APPLY: _ Please submit the following information:
- A letter of interest addressing the specific qualifications and your knowledge, skills and abilities that are applicable to this position. No more than two pages.
- A current resume detailing your experience and/or education. No more than two pages.
- A list of at least three professional references, including one supervisor, with company name, and current telephone numbers and/or email contact information.
Lisa Biscay, HR Business Partner Legislative Support Services E-mail: Lisa.Biscay@Leg.wa.gov Phone: (360) 786-7032
We prefer to receive all application packages via e-mail with .pdf attachments.
The Office of the Code Reviser is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact Lisa Biscay in the Human Resources office at (360) 786-7337.
Salary: $3,071.00 - $3,149.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Exempt
Department: Statute Law Committee
Job Number: 2021-00172
Closing: 2/15/2021 12:00 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact