Washington State Customer Service Specialist 2 -- Customer Service Center in Olympia, Washington
*The Department of Licensing is seeking five smart, reliable, and friendly Customer Service Specialists to join our high-volume Customer Service Center Team! *
We are the primary point of telephone contact for the Drivers and Vehicles licensing programs, providing world-class customer service to the citizens of Washington! Our Customer Service Specialists are trained to evaluate, research, review, analyze and resolve complex customer service inquiries regarding driver and vehicle licensing.
These entry-level positions are critical to the agency's success and provide an opportunity for talented and dedicated individuals to learn, grow, and start a meaningful and rewarding career in public service!
*This recruitment will be used to fill 5 non-permanent positions. *
Please Note These are non-permanent positions. We anticipate the positions will last approximately 12 months; however, non-permanent appointments may be extended or ended with one day notice.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
What our Customer Service Specialist 2 does Reporting to the Customer Service Administrator, this position will:
- Respond promptly to customer inquiries using effective listening, telephone techniques and interpersonal communication.
- Provide customer service, answer customer telephone inquiries, and conduct research on complex questions.
- Educate customers regarding issuance or denial of their licensing requests, determine conformance with laws, rules, policies and procedures, and resolve complex problems and customer complaints while promoting quality service and timely response for information requests.
- Serve as liaison between customer and department at times defusing volatile situations while maintaining a tactful and courteous manner.
- Read and apply information gleaned from computer programs, resources, RCWs, WACs, Employee Policies, and documents submitted by customers, some of which may be in small print, to make good decisions in resolving problems.
- Identify process improvement opportunities and provide direct input to management.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality and compliance with applicable statutes, agency policies and procedures.
- Identify and interpret licensing needs for other program areas and efficiently direct customers to the proper department to facilitate their request.
- Write customized instructions, memos, letters and other documentation for internal and external customer use through mail, email and fax.
- Assist with coaching new staff and participate in ongoing training from staff in other departments of DOL.
Required Qualifications Applicants who possess the following qualifications may be referred to the hiring manager:
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook
- Typing speed of 40 wpm or greater (certificate of proof required).
- Ability to work in a high volume call center.
Preferred Qualifications Applicants who also possess the following may receive additional consideration by the hiring manager:
- Experience explaining complex rules, laws and policies or procedures.
- Experience working in a high volume call center answering 80 or more phone calls daily.
Why work at DOL? We impact more citizens directly than any other state agency and have a strong mission, vision, values, goals and agency culture. We are focused on our commitment to great service, advancing public safety and consumer protection through licensing, regulation and education and collecting revenue that supports our state's transportation system. We are a diverse organization that values integrity, inclusion, respect, results and service excellence. And we have a positive agency culture where employees are engaged, empowered, and appreciated. Find out what our own employees have to say about DOL's Culture and Diversity*!*
We also value wellness and promote a family-friendly culture where a healthy work life balance is supported. And, in addition to our State's excellent benefits package, we offer an outstanding tuition assistance program!
Union Inclusion This position is included in a bargaining unit represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE). For membership questions, contact the local Union Representative.
How to Apply To be considered for this position, complete the four required steps below. Only applicants who demonstrate they are able to follow directions and submit a complete application packet will be considered. This includes attaching all required documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Step 1: Select the large Apply button at the top of this job announcement. If you haven't already done so, you will need to create an applicant profile.
- Step 2: Ensure the work history section of your applicant profile is current and thorough, clearly stating any and all qualifications you possess related to this specific position, as well as your current salary information.
- Step 3: Upload and attach your letter of interest specific to this position and your current resume. Your materials must also include three professional references with name, title, and current contact information. References may be listed in your applicant profile, included on your resume, or uploaded as a separate attachment. Additional references are accepted.
- * Step 4:* In addition to stating your typing speed in the skills section of your profile, proof of your typing speed is required for this recruitment. Complete an online typing test of your choice such as those found on TypingTest.com and use any method (save, print and scan, screenshot, snipping tool, take a picture on your phone, etc.) to upload and attach your results to your application.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application process, contact the recruiter listed below prior to when this job posting closes AND before you submit your application.
Veteran's Preference Notice To take advantage of veteran's preference, please do the following:
- Email a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22 or USDVA signed verification of service letter to HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov
- Use a subject line of "VET for CSC CSS2 18-285"
- Include your name as it appears on your application in careers.wa.gov
The candidate pool certified from this recruitment may be used to fill future similar vacancies for up to six months.
The Washington State Department of Licensing is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex (including gender identity), marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process, during the recruitment process, or who need this job announcement in an alternative format, may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-902-4000 or may email HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our ASL interpreter via Video Phone at 360.339.7344.
Contact Us For inquiries about this position, please contact Sarah Wood at 360.902.4025 or email HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov. Please use a subject line that includes* "CSC CSS2 18-285".*
Salary: $2,586.00 - $3,342.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Non-Permanent
Department: Dept. of Licensing
Job Number: 18-285
Closing: 11/18/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact