Washington State DSHS Juvenile Rehabilitation Security Officer in Naselle, Washington
Join us in Transforming Lives!
You can make a real difference in the lives of at-risk youth as an on call Juvenile Rehabilitation Counselor when you join the dedicated team at Naselle Youth Camp in Naselle, Washington.
We need your motivation and engagement to provide security and safety services and supervision, and support rehabilitative programming for youth in a medium security facility. You will learn about the Rehabilitation Administration philosophy and treatment model, which prepares you for career advancement opportunities.
Some of what you will do:
- Participate as a team member in the implementation of the therapeutic treatment model for youth in our care
- Recognize and assess situations and intervene to de-escalate and maintain facility safety and security using approved verbal and appropriate physical control techniques
- Conduct routine and random security duties such as head counts, room checks for cleanliness and contraband, pat searches, building integrity checks, and collect urinalysis samples for testing
- Assist in supervision and facilitation of educational, recreational and therapeutic programs for residents
- Maintain a written account of activities and clearly document any breaches of security, behavioral incidents, and youth behavior in various logs and in resident files
- Provide direction and behavior management during individual and group activities, meals and cleaning chores
- Awaken youth and supervise the completion of facility chores and housekeeping jobs, serve and supervise meals, and escort/supervise the movement of residents within the facility and in the community
- Communicate to appropriate staff and families
- Ensures safety and security of facility residents; conducts perimeter checks of doors, vehicles, equipment and grounds
We are looking for demonstrated:
- Understanding of adolescent development and juvenile rehabilitation practices and principles
- Competency in relating to clients from diverse backgrounds and cultural groups
- Skills to assess situations and intervene to de-escalate and maintain facility safety and security using approved verbal and appropriate physical control techniques
- Knowledge and skills in cognitive behavioral principles or Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is highly desirable
Who should apply? Professionals who have a high school diploma or GED equivalent, a valid driver's license and one year of experience in the areas of work such as: social services, youth group activities, security guard, correctional officer, police officer, police reserve officer, military police, or other law enforcement work; or, a certificate of completion in a basic law enforcement training program approved by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission; or, a certificate of completion in a police or reserve police academy or military training program.
Two years of college from an accredited institution will substitute for the required one year of experience.
Please include with your application:
- Letter of Interest describing why your skills and experience make you the best person for the job
Interested applicants: Applicants selected for an interview will be required to pass a background check and complete a questionnaire mandated by the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) inquiring about any sexual misconduct.
For questions about the applying for this job opportunity email Lindsay Taylor or call (509) 363-4971 and reference #07913. Supplemental Information
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history may be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the job. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle
Washington State Department of Social and Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in any area of employment, its programs or services on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Salary: $15.93 - $20.64 Hourly
Location: Pacific County – Naselle, WA
Job Type: On-Call
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Job Number: 2018-07913
Closing: 8/26/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact