City of Mount Vernon Plans Examiner / Building Inspector in Mount Vernon, Washington
Under general supervision, the Plans Examiner/ Building Inspector reviews commercial and residential plans and conducts on-site inspections to verify and ensure compliance with building, mechanical, and plumbing related code requirements and other regulations.
Essential Functions: * *Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities *may include, but are not limited to, the following:*
- Performs commercial and residential plan reviews to verify compliance with), State, Federal, and local codes and regulations.
- Inspects residential and commercial buildings and structures, built or altered, to ensure compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Performs assigned field inspections to examine and evaluate the building, mechanical, and plumbing work performed and materials used; verifies quality of workmanship and materials used and compliance with plans, specifications, estimates, and applicable codes and regulations.
- Maintains and updates inspection records, project documentation, and project files; updates building permit and inspection tracking database.
- Responds to inquiries from the public and City staff, both over the telephone and in person; provides pertinent information relative to application and issuing of building permits.
- Utilizes electronic permit and plan review software to review commercial and residential project plans.
- Conducts legal research and analysis on laws and codes.
- Prepares written correspondence to clarify policy, correction notices, and plan review comments.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Applicable local, State, and Federal laws, codes, regulations, and ordinances.
- General office policies, procedures, and equipment.
- Customer service principles, practices, and etiquette.
- Records maintenance and retention policies and procedures.
- Plan review and related software.
- Permitting and plan review processes.
- General construction processes and procedures.
- Work safety policies, procedures, practices, and equipment.
- Reading and accurately interpreting blueprints, structural calculations, and construction specifications.
- Applying and explaining City, State, and Federal laws, codes, regulations, and ordinances related to building safety and planning.
- Maintaining accurate records and filing systems.
- Interacting tactfully and professionally with City staff, outside agencies, and the public.
- Organizing and prioritizing tasks to meet deadlines.
- Completing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Typing and entering data with speed and accuracy.
- Preparing clear and concise communications, reports, and technical documents.
- Analyzing complex issues and implementing appropriate responses.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Education, Training, and Experience Guidelines
Some previous college level coursework in Architecture, Engineering, or related field AND