Lake Washington Institute of Technology HR Generalist in Kirkland, Washington
Lake Washington Institute of Technology (LWTech), located 15 miles northeast of Seattle, is the only public institute of technology in Washington state and has provided high quality education since 1949.We offer8 appliedbachelor's degrees, 43 associate degrees and91 professional certificates in 42 areas of study, including STEM-focused programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. LWTech is located within the city of Kirkland, which is home to companies such as GoDaddy, Google, Astronics and EvergreenHealth, and the college is within minutes from Microsoft and Nintendo. LWTech was recognized by the Aspen Institute as one of the top 150 two-year colleges in the nation in 2018 and is proud to be a Military Friendly School.
LWTech is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on equity and inclusion among its staff and faculty. We serve astudent populationof 6,500 that come from a variety of backgrounds. We strongly value diversity and are working to improve access and successful educational outcomes for all students. We are actively seeking applicants that will help to balance our employee workforce to align with our students and community. Questions regarding the College's commitment to diversity and our campus culture may be directed toHuman Resources.For more about our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Council, click on the link.
The HR Generalist is an expert in human resources management and works in partnership with the Human Resources and Payroll team members to provide guidance to executives, supervisors, and staff and faculty in a wide range of human capital management and personnel functions. This position will have a focus on investigations and Title IX compliance. This is an exempt position that reports to the executive director of human resources.
Provide internal consulting services on a wide-range of human resource management issues including: employee and labor relations, HRIS, recruitment and selection, discipline, classification and compensation, benefits and leave administration, unemployment, accommodations, and staff development. Investigations:
Ensure compliance with Title IX laws and campus policies while fostering a climate that is supportive of students and employees and respectful of differences.
- Under the supervision of the Title IX Coordinator, conduct prompt, equitable, timely, and well-documented investigations into complaints and allegations of discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, domestic misconduct, stalking, retaliation, and potential violations of college policies in compliance with federal, state, and college policies including Title IX, Title VII, and VAWA. For complaints related to Title IX, the Title IX Coordinator has general oversight to ensure compliance with the college Title IX program.
Investigations may include planning for an investigation; identifying and interviewing witnesses; gathering and securing relevant documentation; and identifying other information that would be helpful in bringing the matter to a resolution. Writes clear, concise reports that support subsequent corrective or disciplinary action through possible legal or grievance arbitration challenges. Labor Relations:
Consults with employees and supervisors and provides assistance regarding state and federal employment laws, civil service rules, collective bargaining agreements, agency policies, career development opportunities, classification and pay and other issues.
- Provide accurate and research-based guidance and interpretation on performance management, labor relations, and disciplinary processes as it relates the collective bargaining agreements.
Investigate and analyze problems having broad potential impact, making recommendations, providing options, or suggest necessary actions on matters. Employee Benefits, Leave, and Unemployment:
Determine eligibility for all employee types for health insurance and retirement benefits, including shared leave.
- Manage Washington State workers compensation claims, and assist with return to work efforts.
- Maintain accurate and timely OHSA records.
Manage the unemployment claims process; provide employers information to Employment Security and/or college representative. Other:
Designs and develops or takes an active role in the design and development of various HR programs and initiatives to include on-boarding, training, and campus wide EDI efforts
- Participates in campus-wide governance and committees, as required
- duties as assigned Note: The above position description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the Human Resources and Payroll department
- At least two years of progressively responsible experience in human resources, complaint resolution, Title IX compliance, or related field and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Demonstrated experience with conducting investigations.
- Demonstrated experience with employee relations, conduct or compliance administration, or complaint resolution.
- Knowledge and/or professional experience in the application of federal and state equal opportunity and non-discrimination laws and regulations, including Title VII, ADEA, Title IX and other laws and regulations.
- Takes responsibility for own performance by setting clear goals and balancing critical job requirements through the proper use of task management, results orientation, stress management and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organization, planning, analytical and problem resolution abilities.
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective interpersonal working relationships with an ethically and culturally diverse college community; builds rapport by listening, discussing, encouraging, and motivating others.
Monthly salary is $5,203. This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. Typically, work hours are Monday-Friday from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required. Medical, dental and insurance benefits are provided as currently administered under Public Employees Benefits Board; State Retirement Plan; vacation accrues at 25 days per year and sick leave accrues at 1 day effective upon employment.
*Required Online Application Materials*
- Online application
- Current resume
- Cover letter
Responses to the supplemental questions included in the online application process Conditions of Employment
Official transcripts/certifications will be required upon employment
Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of background/reference checks Physical/Mental Requirements:**The physical demands described here are representative ofthose that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility: ability to sit, walk or stand for extended periods of time
- Dexterity: fine manipulation sufficient to operate a computer keyboard, handle individual papers, write and take notes and/or prepare materials or equipment
- Lifting: frequently lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects up to 50 pounds
- Hearing/Talking: ability to hear normal speech, speak and hear on the telephone, and speak in person
- Emotional/Psychological Factors: ability to make decisions and concentrate, frequent contact with co-workers, as well as the public
Visual Requirements: close vision sufficient to read files, documents, and computer screens and do close-up work; ability to adjust focus frequently *Environmental/Work Conditions*
Frequent use of office equipment
Exposure to weather; corridors between building are located outdoors Eligibility Verification
If you are hired, you will need proof of identity, and documentation of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work Affirmative Action Statement Lake Washington Institute of Technology is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minority**groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Lake Washington Institute of Technology does notdiscriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexualorientation, gender identity, gender expression, creed, disabled veteran status, marital status orVietnam-era veteran status in is programs and activities. Questions regarding the College'sAffirmative Action Policy may be directed to the Meena Park, Executive Director of Human Resources, Affirmative Action Office/Title IX Coordinator, (425) 739-8212.
*Jeanne Clery Statement: Notice of Availability of Annual Security and Fire Safety Report:* In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act of 1998, and as a part of the Colleges commitment to safety and security on campus, Lake Washington Institute of Technology(LWTech) reports the mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, the required statistics, and other related information for the past three (3) calendar years. LWTechs Annual Safety Report (ASR) is available online atwww.lwtech.edu/about/campus-safety/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the LWTech Safety Department located in theEast Buildingat 11605 132nd Avenue NE Kirkland, WA 98034.
Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants must declare whether they are the subject of any substantiated findings of sexual misconduct in any current or former employment or is currently being investigated for, or have left a position during an investigation into, a violation of any sexual misconduct policy at the applicant's current or past employers. By law, post-secondary education institutions cannot hire an applicant who does not complete this form.
*CORRECTIONS OR EXTENDED NOTICES*
Job Title: HR Generalist
Closing Date/Time: Tue. 03/02/21 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $5,203.00 Monthly
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Kirkland, Washington