Washington State CORRECTIONAL LIEUTENANT - WCCW in Gig Harbor, Washington
CORRECTIONAL LIEUTENANT - WMS BAND 1**
**Washington Corrections Center for Women (WCCW)
THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO PERMANENT WASHINGTON STATE, DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS EMPLOYEES ONLY**
The Department of Corrections is seeking highly motivated and qualified individuals for the Correctional Lieutenant positions located at Washington Corrections Center for Women, Gig Harbor, Washington.
AGENCY PROFILE: The Department of Corrections, as a partner in the criminal justice system, enhances public safety, administers criminal sanctions and programs in accordance with the law, and provides leadership for the future of corrections in Washington State. The Department consists of the Office of the Secretary, Prisons Division, Community Corrections Division, Administrative Services Division, and Health Services. The Department employs over 8,500 staff and has a biennial budget of approximately $1.6 billion.
WASHINGTON CORRECTIONS CENTER FOR WOMEN is a 62.6-acre facility located approximately two miles from Gig Harbor. The site includes living units, administration buildings, a health clinic, education buildings, a gymnasium, a chapel, industries buildings, food service buildings, and support facilities.
Whether the work is inside a prison, in community corrections, or in an administrative office, the Washington State Department of Corrections professional staff experience a high degree of personal satisfaction knowing they are creating environments in which all offenders can learn to make choices that contribute to a safer society.
Under the supervision of the Correctional Captain, this position is responsible for the daily operation of the facility in accordance with DOC policies and WCCW Operational Memorandums. The daily operation of the facility includes (1) managing offender population and accounting for offenders institution wide; (2) providing supervision and direction to Sergeants, Correctional Officers, and non uniformed staff in their area of control; (3) acting as the Superintendent designee for the institution during non-business hours; and (4) other duties as assigned.
The Correctional Lieutenant provides concrete direction and a professional example to all the Correctional Sergeants, Correctional Officers, and other non-uniform staff.
- High School diploma or GED AND
- Two years of correctional experience in adult or juvenile corrections with progressing levels of responsibility. AND
- Two years of supervisory experience.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated skills to communicate clearly, factually, and concisely both orally and in writing, in routine and emergent situations.
- Ability to remain calm and act professionally during all emergent conditions.
Ability to use de-escalation skills to manage stressful situations that involve abuse or hostility. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Three years experience as a Correctional Sergeant in adult corrections -or- one year experience as a Correctional Sergeant with successful completion of 30 semester or 45 quarter hours of accredited college level course work.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of DOC Policies, RCWs. WACs, and WCCW Operational Memorandums.
- Thorough understanding of Emergency Procedures, National Incident Management Systems, Grievance Procedures, Collective Bargaining Agreement, Merit System Rules, Performance Monitoring, and Supervisory Techniques. Supplemental Information
The mission of DOC is to improve public safety.
For additional information about the agency, please visit doc.wa.gov.
Provide a minimum of three (3) professional references with your application. The Department of Corrections defines a professional reference as an individual who has been paid to supervise your work and can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job competencies. If you do not have any or sufficient professional references, please include non-related professionals, such as educators or other professional associates.
Provide phone numbers AND email addresses for all professional references.
**Failure to provide this information may result in your application not being considered for this position.
Your answers to the supplemental questions MUST be supported by the work experience section in your application, or you may not be considered for this position. Resumes will not replace the "Work Experience" section of your online application. You may be disqualified if your work experience does not include information used to: 1) Meet the minimum qualifications of the job, and 2) back up your answers to the supplemental questions.
Only complete applications will be considered. Please ensure the application is complete, with employer and supervisor addresses and telephone numbers and that all other blocks of information are complete, to include salary and the reason for leaving prior employment. Incomplete applications may eliminate the candidate from further consideration.**
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Employees may work directly with or in close proximity to incarcerated individuals in a potentially hazardous setting. Please consider this when deciding whether to apply.
- We are committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment, and our employees are expected to comply with all state and federal laws. A pre-employment drug test may be administered as part of the selection process, and applicants who test positive for any controlled substances, will be disqualified from consideration.
- Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) is an aerosol pepper spray made available as a means of self-defense and/or de-escalation. Applicants with sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Animal care projects are a common component of most Washington State prisons, including dog and cat programs. Applicants with animal sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Tuberculosis (TB) is a priority health issue for DOC employees. The successful candidate may be required to provide valid proof of a baseline TB skin test within 60 days from the date of hire. When positive tests result, further information, testing and treatment may also be required. Employment is not contingent upon test results. We are committed to hiring individuals who possess core diversity competencies:
- Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace.
- Work effectively with people of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, genders, sexual orientations, and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable.
- Promote inclusiveness.
- Be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions. DOC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, honorably discharged veteran, veteran status, genetic information, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.
For questions about this recruitment, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 253-858-4675. For TTY service, please call the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Salary: $6,272.00 - $8,027.00 Monthly
Location: Pierce County - Gig Harbor, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Corrections
Job Number: 2020-07804
Closing: 12/13/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact