Washington State Equipment Technician Lead | Bellingham in Bellingham, Washington
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a mechanically inclined individual to fill an Equipment Technician *Lead *vacancy, located in Bellingham, WA. In this role, you will be responsible for leading and assisting mechanics in the Transportation Equipment Fund (TEF) equipment and repair shop in the performance of journey-level inspection, diagnosis, making major or minor mechanical repairs, and preventative maintenance (PM), within the Region’s area of responsibility. Additionally, this position leads and performs new equipment outfitting.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Equipment Technician Lead will:
- Provide excellent customer service skills while working with internal and external partners.
- Plan, schedule, and direct operations, maintenance, and repair activities.
- Instruct employees in operation, servicing, and maintenance of motorized equipment and evaluate workload status and maintenance delays.
- Coordinate equipment compliance, preparation, repair, and disposal with fellow Equipment Technician Leads and Supervisor and ensure quality and expertise in equipment repair operations.
- Analyze vehicle maintenance reports, examine maintenance records, and monitor a motor vehicle preventive maintenance program.
- Obtain repair estimates and schedule vehicles for repair as necessary; maintain service records on all fleet vehicles, as well as establish pickup, delivery, and hauling schedules.
- Perform machinist, body and glass repair, and welding fabrication work to brackets, attachments, and specialized equipment attachments.
- Operate shop equipment such as grinders, vacuum gauge, alternator and regulator tester, wheel balancer, drill press, diagnostic software and/or scanner, digital volt meters, and various hand tools and other equipment used in heavy equipment repair.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Three (3) years of managerial or administrative experience in operating an automotive, heavy, and/or industrial commercial vehicles or equipment fleet; OR
- Three (3) years of experience as a journey-level mechanic repairing light and heavy equipment.
In addition to:
- High school graduation or possession of a GED certificate.
- Possess and maintain a valid Washington Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) with N endorsement to operate trucks of 26,001 GVW and above; or the ability to obtained within 6 months of hire date.
- Demonstrated effectiveness to communicate professionally with diverse audiences.
- Experience working independently to prioritize workload and handle multiple assignments.
- Experience utilizing computer software, such as MS Excel, Access , and Word.
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Experience working with man lifts and aerial equipment.
- Experience diagnosing electrical and mechanical problems of vehicles and equipment.
- Weekends, holidays, and occasional nights may be required to respond to non-scheduled call-out emergencies.
- Must be able to report in service to assigned duty station within 60 minutes of an after-hours call.
- Work alternate and emergency shifts as situations dictate.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Currently possess a valid Washington Class A CDL with N endorsement without airbrake restrictions.
- Currently an Equipment Technician Lead OR at least two (2) years’ experience performing journey-level equipment repair OR At least four (4) years of experience performing preventive maintenance and minor vehicle repair.
- Experience planning, assigning, reviewing, and checking the work of others.
- An Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in automotive or light/heavy equipment repair.
- Two years’ experience diagnosing WSDOT fleet equipment.
- Experience operating shop tools such as welders, drill presses, grinders, presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
- Experience designing and fabricating specialty parts and/or tools.
- Experience using the Departments fleet management system (M-5).
*Important Notes *
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
*How to Apply *
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
*WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit *www.uscis.gov
*Contact us: *
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-10823 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
Salary: $56,856.00 - $65,928.00 Annually
Location: Whatcom County – Bellingham, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-NWR-10823
Closing: 1/27/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact