Washington State Secretary Senior in Airway Heights, Washington
SECRETARY SENIOR Full Time Permanent Airway Heights Corrections Center
The Department of Corrections is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Secretary Senior - Captains Office at Airway Heights Corrections Center (AHCC) located in Airway Heights, Washington.
AHCC is a 2000+ bed male facility located approximately 10 miles west of Spokane. The prison consists of a main facility that houses medium- and long-term minimum-custody offenders. A separate perimeter adjacent to the main facility accommodates a minimum-security unit for offenders with minimum-custody or lower.
Whether the work is inside a prison, in community corrections, or in an administrative office, the Washington State Department of Corrections professional staff experience a high degree of personal satisfaction knowing they are creating environments in which all offenders can learn to make choices that contribute to a safer society.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Works independently to provide administrative and secretarial support to the Correctional Captain, an EMS employee and AHCC Executive Staff member.
- Performs complex word processing tasks such as merging and sorting, integrating text with graphics, spreadsheet and data base files, uploading/downloading, and creating footnotes and outlines; uses spreadsheet and data base software packages; prepares spreadsheets involving the development of formulas; combines files to create reports; uses graphics software and recommends appropriate display of information.
- Takes dictation of materials, compose and/or edit memos and letters. Assist Captain with written confidential documentation. Answer Captain's phone when unavailable. Update Captain's e-mail calendar. Screen, prioritize and distribute mail for the Captain. Serve as liaison between Captain and other staff members. Assist Captain with ongoing/newly assigned projects.
- Prepare Captain's monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Attend meetings and training as indicated. Qualifications
- High School graduation or GED.
- Two years of progressively responsible office experience performing duties that include keyboarding or typing skills.
- Type 50 words per minute accurately.
- Extensive experience in Excel and Word applications.
Experience with a variety of software applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, ATLAS, OMNI, STAR, TEMS, TRACKS) is desirable.
'The mission of DOC is to improve public safety.'
For additional information about the agency, please visit doc.wa.gov.
_Failure to provide the following information may result in your application not being considered for this position._
- Please include a** minimum of three professional references with your application to include phone number and email address. A professional reference is defined as an individual who has been paid to supervise your work and can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job competencies. If you do not have any or sufficient professional references, please include non-related professionals, such as educators or other professional associates. Phone number _AND email address are required for all professional references._
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Employees may work directly with or in close proximity to incarcerated individuals in a potentially hazardous setting. Please consider this when deciding whether to apply.
- We are committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment, and our employees are expected to comply with all state and federal laws. A pre-employment drug test may be administered as part of the selection process, and applicants who test positive for any controlled substances, will be disqualified from consideration.
- Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) is an aerosol pepper spray made available as a means of self-defense and/or de-escalation. Applicants with sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Animal care projects are a common component of most Washington State prisons, including dog and cat programs. Applicants with animal sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Tuberculosis (TB) is a priority health issue for DOC employees. The successful candidate may be required to provide valid proof of a baseline TB skin test within 60 days from the date of hire. When positive tests result, further information, testing and treatment may also be required. Employment is not contingent upon test results.
- This position may be represented by a Union Shop.
- We are committed to hiring individuals who possess core diversity competencies:
- Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace.
- Work effectively with people of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, lifestyle preferences and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable.
- Promote inclusiveness.
- Be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions.
DOC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, honorably discharged veteran, veteran status, genetic information, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.
For questions about this recruitment, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (509) 244-6704. For TTY service, please call the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Salary: $2,718.00 - $3,502.00 Monthly
Location: Spokane County - Airway Heights, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Corrections
Job Number: 2018-10145
Closing: 10/25/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact