Army Installation Management Command Engineering Equipment Operator Leader in Yakima County, Washington
About the Position:The Yakima Training Center (YTC) is located in south central Washington State, adjacent to the community of Selah and 10 miles from Yakima. The Cascade Range protects the area from rain, so the region enjoys over 300 days of sunshine each year. The area is known for a wide variety of agriculture, including apples, cherries, stone fruit, lavender, wine grapes, and hops. Over 100 wineries and breweries are located throughout the Yakima Valley. Outdoor recreation opportunities include world-famous fly fishing on the Yakima River, boating, white water rafting, hunting, hiking, mountain biking, and multiple ski slopes are under an hour away. With its central location, the Yakima Valley hosts many state and regional sporting events for cross-country, baseball, basketball, and volleyball. The city of Selah was ranked #5 for the safest places to live in Washington. The city of Yakima was recently named an All-American City for 2015 by the National Civic League. Educational opportunities include YV Tech, Yakima Valley Community College, Central Washington University, Heritage University, and Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences. The larger metropolitan areas of Seattle, Portland, and Spokane are close enough for a day trip.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens Learn more about this agency
As an Engineering Equipment Operator leader, you will serve as a working leader for employees within the Operations and Maintenance Division Roads Engineering Equipment Operator Section. Assign immediate tasks to be performed by individual members of the group led. Review work in progress and when finished, checks for compliance with instructions on work sequence procedures and methods. Answer workers questions regarding procedures, policies, written instructions, and other directives (e.g., technical orders). Ensure that safety and housekeeping rules are followed (e.g., machine capacities are not exceeded and that tools are properly used). Lead projects and work alongside operating heavy equipment. Conduct heavy equipment operator duties.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
5716 Engineering Equipment Operating
Conditions of Employment
- See "Other Requirements" for a complete listing of requirements.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position requires that the incumbent must successfully complete a pre-placement medical examination to ascertain your fitness for the position.
- Must comply with Drug Abuse Testing Program requirements subject to pre-employment drug test and random drug testing.
- This position requires a valid, Commercial Class A Driver's License.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document. Experience Required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Screen Out Element: Ability to do the work of an Engineering Equipment Operator without more than n Normal Supervision. Qualifying experience is: Performing a full range of Equipment Operations: Operate heavy equipment such as dump trucks, front-end loader, back hoe, grader, excavator and bulldozer. Cut back and reshape banks, excavate trenches, pits, fills in low spots, transported equipment and materials, and moved earth, sand and gravel. Clear brush, trees, stumps, and rocks. Perform operator level maintenance on all equipment.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities, and Competencies) in the following areas:
- Operation of Motor Vehicles
- Work Practices (includes keeping things neat, clean, and in order)
- Ability to interpret instructions, specification, etc. (related to mobile equipment operation)
- Ability to drive safely (motor vehicles)
- Ability to operate safely (non-motor vehicles)
- Reliability and dependability as an Engineering Equipment Operator
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Heavy physical effort is used in constantly bending, reaching, turning, and moving hands, arms, feet, and legs to handle different sets of controls. Considerable strain is caused by constant vibration, jerking and jolting from operations over rough surfaces. Frequently work in awkward or strained positions or constant standing and walking when patching roads. Also exerts considerable effort when operating jackhammer. Frequently lifts and carries items weighing 50 pounds and occasionally heavier. WORKING CONDITIONS: Works in all types of weather often in open driver's seat or platform in all types of terrain. Exposed to possible injury due to possible overturning of equipment, working around underground gas, steam, power and water lines. Exposed to noise, vibration, dust and dirt and fumes. May be exposed to hazardous or flammable materials.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone. No substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Pay includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- This is a Career Program Position (CP) 18.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the closing date of this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
Your resume: * Your resume may be submitted in any format. * If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application. * If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy. * For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents follow the directions located at: Faxing Applications and Documents. The Vacancy ID is 2009593. You will need the questionnaire, View Occupational Questionnaire, to complete your faxed application
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, September 28, 2017 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed (i.e., resume) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. Faxed documents must be completely transmitted by 11:59p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the closing date of the announcement.
The Department of the Army provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the servicing civilian personnel unit. Your requests for reasonable accommodation will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
Central Resume Processing Center
DA WER Fort Lewis Please contact by email Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
Learn more about this agency
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/479479100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/15/2017 to 09/28/2017
Salary: $28.22 to $32.91 per hour
Pay scale & grade: WL 10
Work schedule: Full-Time - Full Time
Appointment type: Permanent