Foss Maritime Tax Accountant in Washington
Responsible for the preparation of the federal and state income tax packages to our parent company, Saltchuk. This person will be responsible for compliance, preparation and timely filing of federal, state and local tax for Sales, Use, Business and Occupation, General Excise and Property taxes companywide. Excellent attention to detail and in-depth knowledge of accounting and taxes is crucial for this position.
- Prepares the federal tax-reporting package to Saltchuk.
- Prepares all state sales and ad valorem tax returns.
- Drive and document process improvements.
- Coordinates with the Accounting Manager the proper configuration of GL codes required to support the tax software.
- Maintains all personal and real property tax files and files all related tax returns.
- Understand and interpret tax laws in all states that Foss operates in currently plus support operations in tax law interpretation for future business.
- Maintains files and records transactions relating to the capital construction fund.
- Support the annual financial audit process.
- Performs special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adheres to all company policies.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to organize workload and prioritize projects in changing environment.
- Strong attention to detail, follows instructions, and responds to management direction.
- Command of the English language necessary for oral, written, and phone communications.
- Ability to work with project groups and support business initiatives.
- Adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge of federal and state tax laws and depreciation methods.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint; Taxware or similar tax software.
A minimum of five years solid accounting experience, with an emphasis on state and local tax. BS/BA degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or other related field. Knowledge of SAP or other large ERP, preferred. Work is mostly performed in a normal office environment.
Foss Maritime Company is an Equal Opportunity - Affirmative Action Employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We are committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program. Foss is a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled