The Hershey Company Area Sales Representative (Seattle) in Washington
Job Location: Seattle, WA
The Area Sales Representative will ensure flawless execution of store level sales and promotion plans with customer retailers in assigned territory. The territory will consist of high volume organic, natural and specialty grocers and customers. The ASR masters retail execution plans by driving incremental sales, implementing and maintaining best-in-class promotional and merchandising strategies, and ensuring 100% distribution on authorized items in our natural/specialty portfolio.
Drive Customer Points of Sale through Consultative Business Partnering
Customer Relationship Development and Management: Build and maintain consultative business relationships with customer Key Decision Makers (KDMs) as well as distributors, brokers & contractors at all levels. Partner with KDMs, distributors, brokers & contractors to develop and execute a detailed action plan to increase and improve sales results within their stores based on sales analytics and best practices. Cultivate a network of influential contacts at all levels of internal and external customers to achieve sales objectives within assigned territory. Use strategic relationship with KDMs to influence and negotiate customers’ assistance in the merchandising of specific products in our portfolio, tailored to natural and specialty grocers.
Data Analysis and Sales Call Preparation: Prepare for retail sales calls by obtaining and analyzing relevant store, product and market data and creating effective selling tools, presentations and one-sheeters for KDM delivery during call. Utilize and complete pre and post call planning methods and other company tools. Review and make recommendations to the Regional Sales Manager to modify routes that maximize business efficiencies for all sales calls within territory.
Sales: Engage in forward selling utilizing consultative sales techniques of predetermined customer sales plans with store and market KDMs in every retail sales call, using provided data sources, technology, processes and procedures. Maximize sales and display opportunities by conducting store walk-throughs and gaining commitment by KDMs on successful outcomes. Tailor selling and consultative strategies to influence KDMs to order additional products to increase incremental sales and incremental points of distribution, as well as obtain best in class quality of merchandising locations of promotional products.
Collaboration with field marketing counterpart
Understand and support dynamics of key geographic markets, retailers and consumers while working alongside field marketing team to ensure local field activities align with national & local sales distribution initiatives. These will include retail tie-ins, leveraging events and relationships with programs, company assets, sales incentives and promotional activity.
Achieve all merchandising objectives, including brand look of success & quarterly point of sale thematics, executing customer specific promotional plans through the effective use of forward selling and maintaining permanent secondary displays and other display vehicles established within the Retail Execution Plan. Ensure new items are placed on the shelf and out of stocks are addressed and corrected in every call.
Complete and submit electronic and/or written reports of daily and weekly activities, expenses, competitive activity, account changes, promotions and all administrative functions within assigned territory using company approved methods and technology on or before given due dates.
Strategy Development & Process Improvement
Develop and recommend strategies aimed to improve the overall effectiveness of the territory, district and/or area business activities. As requested, drive advocate partnerships within the assigned category.
This is a non-exhaustive list of duties, as some ASRs may perform additional or different duties depending on, among other things, their education, work experience, assigned supervisor, personal preferences, customers, territory, and other factors. Moreover, depending on these and other factors, different ASRs may devote more or less time to any given responsibility.
- Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:*
• Must have a valid US state issued driver’s license
• Must reside within territory boundaries
• Must be able to drive long distances to make multiple sales calls on a daily basis
• Must be able to work occasional weekends and overnight stays as required by the territory
• Must be able to lift 10-40 lbs. on a regular basis with or without reasonable accommodations
• Must be able to bend, kneel, stoop down and demonstrate manual dexterity on a frequent basis with or without reasonable accommodations
• Must be able to use tablet technology; some roles will require an intermediate level of computer skills with the Microsoft Office products
• Must have daily access to wireless internet
• Must have flexibility and adaptability to changes in territory coverage
• In addition, the position requires the following competencies
• Communication—Expressing ideas effectively in individual and group situations (including nonverbal communication); adjusting language or terminology to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
• Cultural Interpersonal Effectiveness/ Valuing Diversity—Demonstrating an understanding of and effective adaptation to varying interpersonal styles and norms across cultures; taking actions to minimize the stresses of cross-cultural experiences and using them as opportunities for growth.
• Customer Service Orientation—Proactively developing customer relationships by making efforts to listen to and understand the customer (both internal and external); anticipating and providing solutions to customer needs; giving high priority to customer satisfaction
• Impact— Creating a good impression, commanding attention and respect, showing an air of confidence
• Initiative—Making active attempts to influence events to achieve goals; self-starting rather than accepting passively; working independently; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
• Integrity—Maintaining and promoting social, ethical, and organizational norms in conducting internal and external business activities.
• Personal Leadership—Setting high goals or standards of performance for self, staff workers, others, and the organization; being dissatisfied with average performance; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed by others.
• Persuasiveness/Sales Ability—Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of an idea, plan, activity, service, or product from prospects and clientele.
• Planning and Organizing—Establishing a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal; planning proper assignments of personnel and appropriate allocation of resources; establishing procedures to monitor the results of delegations, assignments, or projects.
• Practical Learning— Assimilating and applying in a timely manner new job-related information that may vary in complexity.
• Teamwork—Working effectively with team/work group or those outside the formal line of authority (e.g., peers, senior managers) to accomplish organizational goals; taking actions that respect the needs and contributions of others; contributing to and accepting the consensus; subordinating own objectives to the objectives of the organization or team.
• Tenacity—Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is achieved or is no longer reasonably attainable.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Education and Experience:* Bachelors Degree or HS Diploma/GED and 3 or more years recent sales or customer service experience required.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans