Washington State Customer Service Specialist 1 - Non-Permanent (4 positions) in Tumwater, Washington
These are non-permanent positions that are expected to last through December 31, 2017.
The Office of the Insurance Commissioner (OIC) is seeking four (4) full-time qualified candidates for the non-permanent position of Customer Service Specialist 1 in our Consumer Protection Division, located in Tumwater, Washington. The expected duration of the non-permanent appointments are expected to begin September 16, 2017 with an approximate end date of December 31, 2017. These positions are not benefits eligible.
The Consumer Protection Division protectsconsumers by empowering and educating the public about insurance issues and health care access. These positions are within the Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA) program which provides free, unbiased information about health care coverage and access to help improve the lives of all Washington State residents. We cultivate community commitment through partnership, service and volunteering.
Throughout the year as people become eligible for Medicare, they need assistance in navigating the complexities of Part D. Every year from October 15 to December 7th, people in Washington on Medicare have the chance to select a Part D Plan if they so choose, a daunting task without the help of a Customer Service Specialist. Since there are approximately 20 Part D plans available each year, it is critical to assist Medicare subscribers to help identify the best plan for each person.
If you're interested in a career that protects consumer's interests, and youhave a positive attitude, are detail-oriented, have strong interpersonal and communication skills and want to help navigate our Washington citizens through Medicare Part D, please apply and become part of our dynamicteam.
Reporting to the SHIBA Program Supervisor, the Customer Service Specialist 1 (CSS1) provides problem resolution assistance to insurance consumers regarding their healthcare options and available services in support of the program. Further responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist consumers by telephone or email regarding technical questions or concerns regarding Medicare enrollment, coverage and options
- Explain to the consumer available outreach, workshop and public media events in their communities
- Resolve consumer concerns/issues with a thorough analysis and research and provide unbiased impartial information. Seek advice within the workgroup and staff when the issue is beyond the scope of CSS1 roles and responsibilities
- Upon completion of research, prepare and distribute necessary information within a specific timeframe
- Provide clear oral and written communication on results of research data and information to consumers
- Interpret complex information and communicate that information in a clear, concise and logical manner to both internal staff and external consumers
- Use the database to keep detailed records of consumer interactions, inquiries, comments, and concerns. Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- One year of experience providing assistance to customers regarding inquiries, complaints, or problems
- Intermediate level skills in navigating Internet to search for and find applicable information to respond to customer
- Basic level skills in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Familiar with databases
- Ability to communicate over the phone and in writing with a diverse group of people
- Knowledge of and/or experience consulting on Medicare or other Healthcare benefit rules and regulations
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA) program
- Two years or more of professional level experience providing assistance to customers regarding inquiries, complaints and problems
- An Associates Degree or higher
_Position Specific Competencies: _
_Communication Cooperation Dependability Independence/Self Management Delivering Difficult Messages _
Agency Core Competencies:
Respect, recognition and inclusiveness Accountability Communication and Collaboration Customer Focus Professionalism and Integrity
HOW TO APPLY: To begin the online application process, click the green "Apply" button at the top of this announcement and follow the online application instructions. To be considered for this opportunity, you must attach the following documents to your online application.
- A current resume
- A detailed letter of interest describing your skills and experience as they relate to the qualifications outlined in this job announcement
- A list of at least three professional references, including contact information for all supervisors for the last five year period Incomplete application packages may disqualify an applicant from the selection process.
Degree/Credential Verification: If a degree is listed by the candidate, proof of degree will be required at the finalist stage; therefore, candidates are encouraged to pre-plan for this.
OTHER INFORMATION This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision will be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
In accordance with RCW 48.02.090(5), Office of Insurance Commissioner employees are prohibited from having any interest, directly or indirectly, in an insurance company other than as a policy holder. This prohibition includes the receipt of renewal commissions.
Employment, Education and Criminal History Verification
_Due to the nature of this position a comprehensive background check will be conducted on the final candidate(s) prior to hire. Applicants will be required to sign a release of authorization prior to conducting the background check. Applicants will be notified prior to any adverse hire action taken as a result of a background check. Information received from the background check does not automatically make a candidate ineligible for employment. However, candidates that provide false or misleading information in their application and/or authorization may be eliminated from any further consideration. If you have questions regarding this process, please contact the recruiter listed above.
The Office of Insurance Commissioner is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or need this job announcement in an alternative format may contact Human Resources at (360) 725-7011. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1._
Salary: $13.60 - $17.55 Hourly
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Non-Permanent
Department: Office of the Insurance Commissioner
Job Number: 2017-06232
Closing: 7/30/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact