Washington State DSHS Direct Care Provider/Attendant Counselor 1 in Selah, Washington
Join us in Transforming Lives!
We are looking for dynamic individuals who are ready to coach, teach and mentor our residents with intellectual disabilities to join our team at Yakima Valley School Residential Habilitation Center (RHC).
As an Attendant Counselor 1 you will provide meaningful interactions that aide in the growth and dignity of individuals on and off campus. Depending on the individualized plan you will be able support, train, and develop life skills by partnering with our residents (clients) and family members. At Yakima Valley School, we are committed to promoting and maintaining a positive reinforcing environment that improves quality of life.
*Key responsibilities include: *
- Provides active treatment designed and developed by an interdisciplinary team to maximize the independent living skills of each person, i.e. hygiene, dressing, grooming, meal preparation, leisure skills, community awareness, safety, money management, and routine household duties.
- Teaches or assist residents with activities of daily living including routine physical, social, emotional, and rehabilitative skill development activities. Provide other resident support services, which include transporting/escorting persons to and from various activities or appointments; also assist with meals, eating and shopping when necessary.
- Implementation of Health Services Orders (HSO) which supports residents through a planned daily schedule of learning new skills, becoming more independent, maintaining their health and overall functioning, working on improving social behaviors, attending work, school or other daily recreational services and household management.
- Train and assist residents with choices and self-determine their daily lives to the best of their abilities.
- Perform personal care for persons of both genders.
- Provide protective intervention with or to residents who may have challenging behaviors.
- Observe, document and report physical, medical or behavioral changes in residents and assist with medical/behavioral emergencies providing for the person's health, safety, security and protection from abuse and/or neglect.
Here's what we are looking for:
- Experience working with persons with intellectual disabilities.
- Ability to provide individualized programs, and services to maintain skills and facilitate independence for clients.
- Promote effort and recognizing client's abilities and continue to promote healthy behavior.
- Implement formal training opportunities for clients.
- Ability to redirect maladaptive behavior.
- Ability to "show" positive behavior by leading by example.
- Ability to share positive knowledge and skills with clients.
Who should apply? Individuals with a high school diploma/GED or one year of experience working developmentally disabled individuals.
*You'll need to maintain a current and active Nursing Assistant Certification (NAC).
Several evening and night shifts are available for Cottage 405/406; you tell us which days off you prefer!
Questions about this job opportunity? Please contact Lindsay Taylor at 509-363-4971 and refer to #06475 Supplemental Information
Some jobs may require full criminal background check. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 829-4956. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Salary: $2,535.00 - $3,203.00 Monthly
Location: Yakima County – Selah, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Job Number: 2017-06475
Closing: 7/31/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact