City of Seattle Senior Stormwater & Drainage Design Engineer (CE, Sr) in Seattle, Washington
Work in the Capital Projects & Roadway Structures (CPRS) Division of the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) with a team of professionals whose mission is to deliver a high-quality transportation system for Seattle. We are seeking a motivated and innovative individual to play a lead role in the design and construction of major capital improvements projects within the City of Seattle. This position will serve as the technical project engineer and design lead for various large, highly complex, and innovative roadway and bridge projects. Projects may include corridor improvements, transit, bicycle, and/or pedestrian facilities, bridge replacements, or similar transportation-based civil projects. Will direct both in-house and consultant designed projects.
- Perform professional roadway and drainage engineering work for SDOT's most complex and high-profile projects
- Perform preliminary and final analysis and design for stormwater collection, conveyance, GSI, flow control facilities, and water quality facilities, on complex urban transportation projects. Prepare plans utilizing AutoCAD and Civil3D
- Assist with preparation of scope of work and design criteria
- Review Stormwater Code Compliance Memorandum and PS&E; prepared by consultants
- Write and review technical specifications, Stormwater Code Compliance Memoranda, reports, transmittals, and other written communications
- Perform quantity take-offs and cost estimating
- Participate in meetings and presentations, both public and internal
- Coordinate project activities with other staff including drafting specifications, survey, project managers, engineers, etc.
- Perform and document engineering analysis and calculations in support of drainage design work and other related activities in support of projects
- Work with project managers and other project engineers to coordinate, resolve issues, and support efforts to keep projects within scope, schedule, and budget
- Review shop drawings, submittals, responses to RFIs, change orders, and final inspection during construction on projects and help resolve design issues as they occur
- Provide support to supervisors and project managers for preparation of permit applications and accompanying plans/specifications packages
- Research existing conditions and perform technical field investigations and inspections as required to support a project through design and construction
- Maintain, document, and organize project files and electronic databases
- Support departmental goals in promoting diversity, race, and social justice
These responsibilities are only a summary of typical functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology
- Five years of professional civil engineering experience
- Ability to effectively work in a multicultural workplace with a diverse customer base
Other combinations of education, training, and/or experience that provide an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class may be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability.
Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility. Registration as a Professional Engineer in the state of Washington or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
- At least seven years of professional civil engineering experience
- Knowledge and experience with AutoCAD and Civil3D
- Familiarity with City of Seattle, WSDOT, and AASHTO drainage design and construction standards
- Working knowledge of City of Seattle Stormwater Code
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications, contracts, and other construction documents to ensure contract compliance
- Demonstrated capability to actively manage the technical development of contract documents for multiple projects and monitor and maintain the progress schedules to meet milestones and budget objectives
- Experience supervising several people with different skill sets and abilities, including the direct supervision of technical work
- Demonstrated meeting management skills including the ability to negotiate, mediate, and facilitate contentious issues to a satisfactory conclusion within a charged atmosphere
- Flexibility, adaptability, and effectiveness in terms of work assignments with strict time lines and constantly changing priorities
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently while keeping supervisor informed of progress and issues
- Strong organizational, time management, and customer service skills
- Proficiency in Adobe Professional, as well as Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint
- Ability to work successfully with individuals and groups at all levels of the organization with diverse views, backgrounds, and interests
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Most work will be performed in a normal City office environment; may be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and holidays and in field assignments with exposure to all types of weather, traffic conditions, hazardous/toxic substances, and construction sites. May be required to lift over 50lbs and stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time. Overnight travel may be required.
Applications are reviewed after the job posting closes. Submit the following to be considered for this outstanding opportunity:
- NEOGOV online (or paper) application
- Supplemental questionnaire
- A cover letter AND rsum
Your application may be rejected if these items are missing or incomplete. Simply providing a cover letter and rsum is not a substitute for completing the application itself.
Job offer is contingent upon verification of credentials and other information required by the employment process and may include an oral interview, a reference and criminal history background check, pre-placement medical exam, and a review of driving history.
Learn more about Seattle Department of Transportation by visiting our webpage.
Job Title: Senior Stormwater & Drainage Design Engineer (CE, Sr)
Job Number: 2017-01073
Salary: $48.92 - $56.96 Hourly
Location: Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 5th Ave., Seattle, Washington
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle Department of Transportation
Bargaining Unit: PTE, Local 17 - Senior Professionals
Closing Date/Time: Continuous