King County Washington Licensed Practical Nurse - Jail in Seattle, Washington
Public Health is accepting applications for a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) correctional health position. All LPN vacancies will be filled from the list resulting from this recruitment. Applicants are referred to positions for 6 months and then must reapply.
Benefits: King County offers a highly-competitive comprehensive benefit package. Please see the Benefits tab for details.
Summary of Practice: These positions are for the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) who wants to work in a stimulating health care environment. You will be joining an interdisciplinary team that provides health care services for clients at the King County Correctional Facility.
Current Vacancies for Jail LPN: There is one 1.0 FTE position currently available. This position is eligible for benefits and retirement.
Schedules: Will work in a 24/7 facility; LPN's work 8 hour shifts; $2.50 shift differential, $4.00 an hour additional weekend pay. Shift assignment and the schedule of days off is determined by vacant schedules and seniority requests. Most schedules have every other weekend off. Non preferential shift assignments or pattern changes may be made in emergency situations or to meet operational needs.
Work Location: King County Correctional Facility located at 500 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104.
Contact: For information about these positions, please contact Amy Curtis, Nurse Recruiter at (206) 263-8358 or email@example.com.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Obtain, verify and record health history of patients, establishing and maintaining medical records. There is daily use of computer to access patient health information.
- Gather pertinent health data through physical assessments and biological samples.
- Verify and administer medications as directed.
- Transcribe medical, dental and psychiatric orders.
- Respond to medical emergencies.
- Collect specimens for laboratory analysis and conduct analysis for specific tests. This nurse also will be screening labs and diagnostic labs results.
- Carry out and monitor appropriate nursing care procedures.
- Assist other health care professionals in performing minor surgical and medical procedures.
- Respond to questions on patient care and pass information to health care professionals.
- Operate and maintain equipment, stock supplies.
- Provide basic health information to patient and community.
- Coordinate patients and appointment schedules.
- Provide clerical support for the clinics.
- Assist other health care professionals in providing training, orientation and education to staff clients and students.
- Participate in the development of quality assurance activities to demonstrate compliance with standards, laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Help develop and evaluate policies, procedures, service delivery models, personal health services programs, the community health planning process, and safety and security measures.
- Assist in Dental and X-ray as needed.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Requires current Washington State Licensed Practical Nurse license in good standing.
- Requires the completion of training from a Practical/Vocational Nursing Program with National League of Nursing accreditation or the equivalent.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and cultures; ability to engage clients in a care plan.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology.
- Knowledge of equipment, supplies and materials needed for medical treatment.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures including preparation and screening.
- Knowledge of health care system structure and function.
- Knowledge of infectious disease management, control and safety standards.
- Medical record documentation skills.
- Knowledge of electronic computer charting required.
- Knowledge of the Washington State law relating to nursing care (WAC 18.79) and of the Patient Bill of Rights
- Knowledge of pharmacology.
- Knowledge of human systems (wellness, illness, growth and development, nutrition, behavioral, psycho-social and family systems).
- Phlebotomy skills.
- Physical assessment skills.
- Communication skills (oral and written).
- Problem solving skills.
- Skilled in interviewing patients.
- Time management skills.
- Crisis intervention skills.
- Skilled in initiating appropriate emergency response.
- Skilled in maintaining and establishing working relationships and working with diverse populations and cultures
- Skilled in handling a number of tasks simultaneously.
- Skilled in reading and following written medical orders.
- Experience in a correctional or locked facility.
- Two years of experience preferred to include: hospital experience - ER/Psych/med surg; clinic ambulatory care and substance abuse (relevant nursing experience will be considered).
- This selection process may include but is not limited to: evaluation of application materials and supplemental questions, testing and interviewing. For more information on our selection process, please refer to http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/jobs.aspx
- Public Health relies on office automation (Microsoft Office) and web-based enabled tools, therefore candidates must be proficient and comfortable with computer use to perform functions associated with on-going work.
- Regular and reliable attendance, effective communication skills, and development of effective working relationships are requirements of all Public Health positions.
- The person hired into this position will be required to adhere to the policies of the Department of Juvenile and Adult Detention (in addition to those of the Public Health Department) in meeting and maintaining the standards required for continued access to the facility as well as other standards related to conduct.
- Staff may be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities and working hours.
- Applicants from this job posting may be used to fill temporary or other positions in this classification for a period of up to a year.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The selected candidate must pass a security clearance and/or background check to secure access to the correctional facilities.
- The selected candidate must pass a physical examination including lifting 50 pounds (details available upon request).
- Employees are required to protect the privacy and security of protected health information as defined in State and Federal Law.
- Employees are required to adhere to OSHA/WISHA guidelines including but not limited to completing their mandatory trainings on time.
UNION AFFILIATION: This position is represented by Washington State Nurse Association.
Job Title: Licensed Practical Nurse - Jail
Opening Date/Time: Mon. 07/17/17 12:00 AM Pacific Time
Salary: $24.22 - $30.97 Hourly
Job Type: Career Service
Location: Downtown Seattle, Washington
Department: Department of Public Health--Jail Health Services