U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Electrical Engineer in Seattle, Washington
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is one of the best! In 2016, USACE ranked number two of government large-agency subcomponents! As rated by their employees, USACE supervisors strongly support employee development and opportunities to demonstrate leadership skills, while also maintaining an optimal work/life balance. The Corps offers a team-inspiring and collaborative work environment; providing challenging and rewarding careers across a variety of disciplines. Follow this link for more information about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is an innovative, transformative organization providing engineering solutions to customers worldwide. Working at the Corps as a civilian employee means making a direct contribution to war fighters and their families; supporting overseas contingency operations; developing technology and systems that save the lives of soldiers and civilians; providing disaster relief; and protecting and enhancing the environment and the national economy.
About the Position:Seattle District, Corps of Engineers, Seattle, Washington is one of the world's premier public engineering organizations, capable of providing a full spectrum of engineering services. Our strength lies in our technical excellence, our willingness to collaborate with our customers and understand their needs, and, our ability to facilitate creative solutions to achieve mutual goals. Our high-performing team members have a deep respect for each other, opportunities for professional growth, and, consistently strive to bring out the best in each other, our partners, and our customers.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
You will serve as an Electrical Engineer responsible to design electrical distribution systems to serve civil works and military facilities, to include features such as cranes, hoists, pumps, HVAC equipment, cathodic protection, lighting, control systems, communications, fire alarm and mass notifications, telemetering systems, protective relaying, and powerhouse equipment. Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Advise construction engineers on resolving problems concerning the interpretation of contract plans and specifications, application of test procedures, etc.
- Make authoritative determinations on problem areas which arise during design stages.
- Review and coordinate the checking of contractors' drawings for conformance with contract requirements and initiates contract modification when required.
- Determine inadequacies, discrepancies, corrective measures required, and prepares reports.
- Write electrical portions of contract specifications.
- Develop or assist in the development of scope of work for A/E contracts and time and cost estimates for such services, and for in-house projects.
- Review and evaluate A-E designs for compliance with contractual requirements and drawings and specifications for adequacy and correlation.
- Occasional Travel
- Up to 10% Temporary Duty Travel (TDY) may be required
- Relocation expenses MAY be authorized in accordance with applicable travel regulations and available command funding. The decision to authorize relocation expenses will be made upon selection and offer. The Defense National Relocation Program (DNRP) is not authorized.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: designing electrical engineering features involving the development of electrical design analyses and calculations, contract specifications and preliminary and final contract plans for engineering projects. Must have experience using MicroStation and/or AutoCAD. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Electrical Engineering
- Skill in Conducting Electrical Studies
- Skill in Providing Support during Construction
- Skill in Designing Electrical Systems
- Ability to Coordinate Electrical Designs
In addition to meeting the specialized experience requirement above, all jobs in this occupation must meet this education requirement. This job allows a combination of experience and education to meet this requirement. Please refer to the assessment questionnaire under Basic Education Requirements or Minimum Qualifications for the entire list of education and combination of education/experience requirements. View Assessment Questions
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Proceduresinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the closing date of this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
- This is a Career Program 18 position.
- Recruitment or relocation incentive may be offered.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476265600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-09 to 2017-08-18
Salary: $77,926 to $101,307 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 12
Series: 0850 Electrical Engineering
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: WTHF170760241996428D
Control number: 476265600