Holland America Line Assistant Gift Shop Buyer in SEATTLE, Washington
Assistant Gift Shop Buyer
We are committed to our mission: Through excellence, we create once-in-a-lifetime experiences, every time.
Responsible for the development of merchandising programs tailored to the Alaska tourist market. Responsible for monitoring inventory, assortment planning of assigned departments and analyzing results. Develop retail pricing to yield required product profit. Select vendors, negotiate agreements, ensure product quality, and delivery within company guidelines. Plan effective promotional campaigns. Liaison with Merchandise Manager and Gift Shop Managers on shop layouts. Carry out responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies, objectives, and applicable government laws and regulations.
• Responsible for developing merchandising programs by ship and itinerary. Responsible for assortment planning of assigned departments to achieve budgeted revenue and profit objectives.
• Effectively monitors inventory to achieve turn-around goals within open-to-buy guidelines. Minimize dated inventory.
• Strategically plan for assigned departments and analyze results.
• Select vendors and negotiate agreements to achieve favorable terms of purchase. Monitor product quality and ensure timely delivery.
• Determine retail pricing and gross margin objectives to yield required product profit return. Determine and execute timely and justified markdowns.
• Plan effective promotions for each assigned department and obtain vendor support.
• Apply knowledge of merchandising, budget guidelines and objectives to maximize sales and profit productivity with each department’s square footage,
• Liaison with the Merchandise Manager and Gift Shop Managers in the development of appropriate shop layouts and fixtures for new and existing ships.
• Provide coaching and training to the Merchandise Assistants.
• Associate degree or trade school work or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum 2 years’ related experience in retail purchasing and merchandising.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills (verbal and written).
• Proficiency in the MS Office applications, working knowledge of computerized point-of-sale (POS) and inventory management systems a plus.
• Organizational skills and the ability to handle multi-tasking and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
• Some travel is required.