Washington State DSHS Juvenile Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant in Richland, Washington
You can make a real difference in the lives of at-risk youth when you join our dedicated team in Richland. We need your motivation and engagement to assist our counselors in providing comprehensive case management, transition planning and counseling and treatment services for an assigned caseload of youth and their families within the context of Juvenile Rehabilitation's Functional Family Parole model.
Some of what you'll do:
- Assist parole counselor in providing supervision and services to youth and families with a complex range of disorders and treatment needs.
- Serve as back-up for parole counselors and respond to emergent situations.
- Fulfill reporting and documentation requirements identified in JR's policies and related statutes and rules.
- Assess youth behavior for risk to self or community and report to parole counselor for intervention/service referral.
- Interview and obtain pertinent information related to you from a variety of sources and report back accurately to counselors/supervisors.
- Maintain professional standards and boundaries when working with youth and families.
- Model pro-social adaptive behavior; remain calm and in control during crisis/dangerous situations and intervene to de-escalate using JR approved methods and techniques.
- Monitor youth effectively, including urinalysis collection, electronic monitoring, and whereabouts verifications.
- Transport youth to and from service providers resource centers, resource centers, appointments, and secure facilities.
- Supervise and maintain order among youth in a group setting.
- Assist with compliant arrest of youth on absconder or parole violation warrants.
- May be required to modify work schedule, e.g., to assist parole counselors, provide transportation, etc.
- Must pass a national (fingerprint) criminal records background check prior to employment.
Who should apply:
Professional's with a Bachelor's degree or those with two years of college education and two years of experience in casework, counseling, probation and parole, social services, planning, directing or facilitating youth group activities, or experience in a related field.
Professional's who previously served two years as a Juvenile Rehabilitation Security Officer and with two years of college education are also encouraged to apply.
Demonstrated understanding of adolescent development and juvenile rehabilitation practices and principles; experience providing cognitive/behavioral therapeutic interventions.
Demonstrated competency in relating to clients from diverse backgrounds and cultural groups.
Must be able to communicate and comprehend (through oral and written forms of communication) with management, peers, clients, and the public.
Please attach to your completed application the following:
- A Cover Letter
- A Current Resume
For questions about the application process, please contact Lynette Ryder at 360-829-4956 referencing 07247. Supplemental Information
Some jobs may require full criminal background check. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Salary: $2,914.00 - $3,795.00 Monthly
Location: Benton County – Richland, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Job Number: 2017-07247
Closing: 8/23/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact