Microsoft Corporation Sr. Director, Technology Experiences (Comms) in Redmond, Washington
Media is changing. Journalism is changing. Analyst relations is changing. Influence is changing. Yet, in some cases it seems that the art - or perhaps more accurately the science - of public relations isn’t keeping pace with the era of Digital Transformation. We’ve made progress with innovative data journalism and Office 365 programs and an engaging analyst relations community (ARC), and that’s just the beginning.
The Commercial Communications team (C2) is looking for a Communications powerhouse to lead and manage a new, small but powerful team, whose mission is to increase awareness and usage of Microsoft technologies by influencers, outlets and their audiences - and create new fans. When we share our technology and truly engage with influencers around the world, perceptions shift, and these influencers begin to write, speak and advocate on our behalf. This role offers a unique opportunity to build the tech experiences journalists, influencers and analysts will use and love.
To be successful, you’ll need to expertly bridge senior engineering, marketing and communications partners across Microsoft. You’ll thrive at the intersection of technology, communications and influence - and you’ll be a hands-on practitioner in all. You can make the sum greater than its parts, create business plans that inspire, design technology programs and experiences and drive influencer and outlet engagement strategies. Of course, throughout, you’re a masterful coach - guiding the team to innovate, learn and deliver measurable business impact (usage) and innovations in the science of storytelling. You will focus on media, analysts and outlets, but you’ll have a passion for customer communications, non-traditional influencers, and an understanding of outbound marketing communications levers. Initial priorities include working across Commercial Communications, in collaboration with our marketing and engineering partners, to:
• Transform how we connect and engage with influencers using Microsoft Cloud services like Office 365, Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business
• Bring to life easy to understand - and not so easy to understand - technologies like PowerPoint & Visual Studio for briefings and in coverage.
• Advance programs, learning content and engagement strategies that help influencers and outlets use technologies like Power BI, Cognitive Services and Mixed-Reality to transform their storytelling and connect with their audiences in new and interesting ways.
• Extend tech experiences best practices, innovations and programs to all Microsoft Communications teams, locally and globally.
Skills and Experiences, we are looking for:
• Undergraduate Degree in Communications, Marketing or Information Technology. MBA preferred.
• 7+ years of technical communications, PR, marketing, experience.
• 5+ years of hands on technology experience in an Power User, Tech Hobbyist, IT or developer capacity or demonstrated capacity to get hands on with technology and learn, quickly.
• 5+ years of experience managing teams and vendors with positive outcomes.
• Broad understanding of journalists, influencers and outlets, including how to engage with them, what they need and how technology can help them.
• Excellent communications, writing and project management skills.
• Experience creating demos, presenting to audiences or as an evangelist.
• Broad marketing and or technology program management experience preferred.
• Candidates should have a proven track record of cross-group collaboration, the ability to influence executives, corporate and field teams, business maturity and grace under pressure.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.