Microsoft Corporation Senior Demand Planner in Redmond, Washington
Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations (MCIO) is an exciting and fast evolving engineering group within Microsoft. MCIO’s mission is to optimize and deliver industry leading cloud infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s online services. The organization is responsible for strategy and delivery of the foundational platform for all Microsoft Online Services including demand and capacity planning, supply chain management, data center planning and construction, networking, bandwidth, operations, and incident management. MCIO supports over 200 online businesses including Bing, O365, OneDrive, Xbox and Windows Azure branded services. The MCIO Cloud Services Demand Forecasting team leads the global demand forecasting for all of Microsoft’s current and future on-line services. We are looking for outstanding Demand Forecasters to join our team.
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about forecast modeling and business analytics, is comfortable dealing with ambiguity and unknowns, with a track record of making data-driven decisions and recommendations to drive business value.
In this role, you will get your hands dirty building complex forecasting models using a variety of techniques (e.g., time series, regression, machine learning) and a variety of platforms (from R to Excel). You will also work with our team of Data Scientists to implement their models in production. You will understand drivers of demand and the complexities of the cloud business, work with primary and secondary research, and present findings to senior executives across MSFT to support high-value and high-profile capacity investment decisions. You will solve ambiguous business problems and identify key macro and micro trends affecting the cloud industry demand.
As a Senior Forecaster, you will also:
Own the end-to-end demand forecasting process for one or more Microsoft cloud services (e.g. Azure, Office 365, Bing, Xbox).
Perform exploratory data analysis to identify trends, patterns, correlations, and insights to aid in developing new forecasting models and improve existing models.
Define forecast KPIs, track forecast performance and develop plans to continually improve performance.
Build collaborative v-teams across Engineering, Operations, Sales & Marketing, Capacity Planning, and Finance to drive end-to-end improvements in the capacity supply chain.
Generate requirements for Data Engineering to access new data sources, and for Data Science to generate new forecasting models to satisfy the needs of our business stakeholders.
Document and communicate demand forecast insights to stakeholders up to and including the executive (Partner) level.
Apply “continuous improvement” techniques to drive process efficiencies with a focus on data quality, forecast accuracy, automation, cycle time reduction and forecast insights.
Perform ad-hoc analysis on critical business issues related to cloud services demand and capacity.
Prioritize assignments and work within a matrix team environment.
• Understanding and experience in forecasting science and predictive modeling a plus.
• Experience writing requirements and process flows in Visio.
• Experience in data analytics using Microsoft Excel; R, SAS, Tableau, QlikView, PowerBI, or Matlab a huge plus.
• Experience accessing and working with data in SQL, or if no SQL background willingness to learn (applies to many other technologies as well).
• Adept and passionate about building relationships across disparate teams and working in a matrix environment.
• Self-starter who can move forward in the face of ambiguity and can help drive to clarity and impact in projects.
• Quick learner and able to adapt to changing environment and learn new, complex topics; a consummate learner.
• Solid analytics problem-solving skills; able to distill a problem down to its solvable parts and work a way through to a solution.
• Able to balance mathematical rigor with an action orientation to solve real business problems in a rapid timeframe.
• Adept at communicating findings: pliable to differing audiences, skilled at various data visualizations
• Driven to not only solve problems but to collaborate with, contribute to, and learn from others, both inside our team and with our stakeholders in the Cloud supply chain (humble and teachable).
• Excellent creative thinking skills with emphasis on developing innovative solutions to solve complex problems that may not have one clear answer.
• BS in statistics, economics, engineering, computer science, operations research, analysis or IT-related technical field, MBA is a plus.
• Minimum 5+ years of experience in any of the areas: supply chain, demand planning, advanced analytics, warehousing, forecasting.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Data & applied sciences (engineering)